Working in the Department
What do I need to know about the workplace?
You may want to find out more about your new work environment in order to feel comfortable on your first day.
- Familiarise yourself with the content on this Environment web site, particularly the sections that apply to the area where you will be working
- Find where your role fits into the scheme of things on the Departmental structure chart
- Read relevant sections of the Enterprise Agreement to understand the working conditions that may apply to you
What do I need to know for my first day?
- Work out your transport arrangements to and from your workplace as parking may be difficult, particularly if you are in the Canberra area
- Consider your meal arrangements for the first few days as some of our locations may not have convenient or cost effective food outlets
- Check you know what time to arrive, where to find the entrance and who to contact on arrival
- Find out what you need to bring, such as your tax file number, birth certificate etc.
- Discuss any queries with your job Convenor, whose details are on your offer of employment
What would be helpful to know/do within the first week?
Your supervisor or a buddy will assist you with the procedures in the first week. These may include:
- Familiarising you with the layout of your work area
- Detailing your duties and responsibilities
- Providing necessary forms for access to the building and computer system
- Providing vision statements for the Department and your division or branch
- Introducing you to the people in your section and branch
- Discussing the Departmental Performance Development Scheme (called MiPDS)
- Answering your questions regarding the new workplace.