About the department
- Administrative Arrangements Order
- Environment protection and conservation of biodiversity
- Air quality
- National fuel quality standards
- Land contamination
- Administration of the Australian Antarctic Territory, and the Territory of Heard Island and McDonald Islands
- Natural, built and cultural heritage
- Environmental research
- Water policy and resources
- Ionospheric prediction
- Co-ordination of sustainable communities policy
- Population policy
- Urban environment
The Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities was established on 14 September 2010.
Throughout Australia, environment, water and heritage issues are also managed by other levels of government.