Department of the Environment and Water Resources, 2007
Australian Antarctic Division Environmental Performance
EN17: Initiatives to use renewable energy sources and to increase energy efficiency
- Develop and implement a five-year strategy to minimise areas of energy waste by 2006
- Continue to investigate the use of renewable energy sources at stations
Performance 2005-06 and trends
A five year strategy to minimize energy waste was not developed in 2006.
While pre-existing renewable energy initiatives continued in 2005-06, no new initiatives were investigated.
The pre-existing renewables initiatives include:
- The hydrogen fuel cell demonstration project at Mawson and then the field camp on Bechervaise Island
- The wind turbine at Mawson.
- Continue to investigate the safety and operations aspects of the use of hydrogen on stations, as well as its viability as a major energy carrier.
- Sustainability Report 05-06
- Executive summary
- Vision and strategy
- Our organisation
- Policy and influence
- Environmental performance
- Social performance
- Economic performance
- Report assurance statement
- Case studies
- GRI index
Links to another web site
Opens a pop-up window