Department of the Environment and Water Resources, 2007
Canberra environmental performance
EM2: Environmental performance improvement process
- Implement recommendations of the 2003-04 EMS audit reports
- Complete the key activities identified in the 2003-04 EMS Action Plan
Performance 2005-06 and trends
- implementation of audit and gap analysis report recommendations
- regular Environmentally-Conscious Office Network (“ECONet”) meetings to monitor environmental performance and issues, and identify new opportunities
- staff awareness-raising by delivery of purpose-designed training programme
- restructured aspects and impacts register to facilitate targeted approaches to specific impact sources and more proactive attention to priority issues.
This year saw the completion of many 2003-04 Action Plan activities, such as increasing the availability of video- and tele-conference facilities, awareness-raising targeting the three-bin waste system, and securing
BP Global Choice subscriptions for the vehicle fleet. Some targets from the 2003-04 Action Plan have not yet been achieved, and are addressed in the individual impact areas within this report.
Maintaining a certified ISO 14001 EMS ensures that the department is committed to pursuing continual improvement. Many variables influence the realities of actual performance, though, and this year has demonstrated a need for vigilant monitoring of our performance indicators, and a strategic-rather than responsive-approach to issue management.
- Monitor key performance data on a quarterly basis, to enable timely identification of issues and changes
- Use the improved aspect and impact risk register to target our performance improvement efforts to ensure we address priority impact areas.
- Sustainability Report 05-06
- Executive summary
- Vision and strategy
- Our organisation
- Policy and influence
- Environmental performance
- Social performance
- Economic performance
- Report assurance statement
- Case studies
- GRI index
Links to another web site
Opens a pop-up window