Department of the Environment and Water Resources, 2007
Canberra environmental performance
EM3: Integration of environment with other business management systems
- None set
Performance 2005-06 and trends
The process of developing the new EMS Procedures Manual identified our key internal environmental stakeholders, including Procurement, Accommodation & Facilities, Fleet, Travel, IT Services, and Public Affairs (publications). By including these areas in EMS planning, we are continuing to pursue a fully integrated business and environment model. Examples of this included:
- revision of procurement guidelines and checklists to better represent environmental purchasing requirements, policies and considerations
- exploring the restructuring of the purchase order system to gather data on environmental considerations used throughout procurement, and remind staff of mandatory considerations
- identification of stakeholder activities that require input or advice from the EMS team, such as tendering for major service contracts, and requirements for maintenance works contracts.
The EMS Management Review process will also ensure that major EMS decisions are informed by and integrated with broad-scale departmental goals, priorities and future needs, and that these goals, priorities and needs include relevant EMS considerations where appropriate.
This is an area that has seen significant improvement over the past year. By involving departmental stakeholders in the risk identification and appraisal process, overall awareness of the environmental facets of the department’s operations is heightened, breaking down divisional barriers and enhancing collaborative efforts. It is expected that this engagement will improve the effectiveness of future EMS initiatives.
- Continue to increase internal stakeholder and senior executive participation in EMS processes and decision-making.
- Sustainability Report 05-06
- Executive summary
- Vision and strategy
- Our organisation
- Policy and influence
- Environmental performance
- Social performance
- Economic performance
- Report assurance statement
- Case studies
- GRI index
Links to another web site
Opens a pop-up window