Key departmental publications, e.g. annual reports, budget papers and program guidelines are available in our online archive.
Much of the material listed on these archived web pages has been superseded, or served a particular purpose at a particular time. It may contain references to activities or policies that have no current application. Many archived documents may link to web pages that have moved or no longer exist, or may refer to other documents that are no longer available.
Environment Australia, 2001
Overall achievement of outcome three
Australia Antarctic interests are advanced
Focusing on four outputs::
- Antarctic Treaty
- Global climate
Enhancing Australia's influence in the Antarctic Treaty system
- Played leading role in developing rules under the Antarctic Treaty on liability for environmental damage.
- Led review of trade-related scheme to more effectively deal with illegal, unregulated and unreported fishing.
- Provided catch data for Southern Ocean fish stock management.
- Led negotiations that resulted in improved measures to manage new and exploratory fisheries.
Protecting the Antarctic environment
- Identified mechanisms to prevent introduction of invasive species to Antarctic and subantarctic regions.
- Identified methods to remediate old station tip sites without additional environmental damage.
- Developed new guidelines to minimise environmental impact of helicopters.
- Achieved 12 per cent drop in overall station energy consumption in one year, resulting from better awareness.
Understanding Antarctica's role in the global climate system
- Drilled 400-metre hole through Amery Ice Shelf to provide data on conditions in ocean beneath, and ice-shelf-ocean interaction.
- Surveyed Brown Glacier, Heard Island, revealing 38 per cent decrease in volume since 1947 - a significant indicator of atmospheric warming.
- Deployed Lidar laser equipment at Davis to analyse conditions in coldest atmospheric region on earth, the Antarctic middle atmosphere.
Conducting scientific research of practical, economic or national significance
- Put in place automatic data gathering at Mawson, Casey and Macquarie Island for atmospheric and space physics research programmes.
- Analysed recent solar radiation burst indicating greater significance of near-earth magnetic field in mitigating radiation effects.
- Began joint Australia-United States human physiology programme with controlled cold-stress testing of Australian Antarctic expeditioners.
Administering the Australian Antarctic Territory and the Territory of Heard and McDonald Islands
Administering Antarctic science grants