Department of the Environment and Heritage, 2004
ISSN 1441 9335
Letter of Transmittal
Senator the Hon Dr Ian Campbell
Minister for the Environment and Heritage
CANBERRA ACT 2600
I present the annual report of the Department of the Environment and Heritage for the financial year ended 30 June 2004 prepared in accordance with subsection 63(2) of the Public Service Act 1999. Subsection 63(1) of that Act requires me to give you the report for presentation to the Parliament. A copy of this annual report must be laid before each House of the Parliament on or before 31 October 2004.
In addition, the annual report must be tabled in each House of the Parliament within 15 sitting days after the day on which you receive it because it contains other annual reports about Acts the Department administers. Specifically, it includes annual reports that meet the requirements of:
- section 516 of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999;
- section 71 of the Fuel Quality Standards Act 2000;
- section 61of the Hazardous Waste (Regulation of Exports and Imports) Act 1989;
- section 68 of the Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Gas Management Act 1989;
- section 35 of the Product Stewardship (Oil) Act 2000; and
- section 47 of the Protection of Movable Cultural Heritage Act 1986.
I am pleased to include in this annual report the Department's first Triple Bottom Line report about performance against selected environmental, social and economic indicators.
6th October 2004