Key departmental publications, e.g. annual reports, budget papers and program guidelines are available in our online archive.
Much of the material listed on these archived web pages has been superseded, or served a particular purpose at a particular time. It may contain references to activities or policies that have no current application. Many archived documents may link to web pages that have moved or no longer exist, or may refer to other documents that are no longer available.
Environmental Economics Research Paper No.3
Prepared by Deni Greene Consulting Services,
Australian Consumers Association and National Key Centre for Design, RMIT for the
Department of the Environment, Sport and Territories
© Commonwealth of Australia, 1996
ISBN 0 642 24869 9
1. Industry Commission (1994) Urban Transport. Report No. 37, Melbourne, Australian Government Publishing Service, 15 February.
2. ESD Working Groups (1991) Final Report - Transport, Canberra, Australian Government Publishing Service, November.
3. CouncilNet, electronic network of Municipal Conservation Association, Melbourne.
4. Anon. (1995) Good Weekend, The Age, July 15, p.61
5. Department of the Environment, Sport and Territories (1993) Using Unleaded Petrol, World Environment Day initiative.
6. Australian Maritime Safety Authority (undated) Stow It Don't Throw It, Canberra
7. Plastics Industry Association (now PACIA) (1993) Plastics Recycling Register, Melbourne.
8 Bicycle Victoria (1992) Riding a Bike to Work, brochure, Melbourne.
9. BP, Environment Protection Authority (Vic) and JMJ (undated) How to Stop Exhausting the Supply of Clean Air, brochure, Melbourne.
10. Victorian Government (undated) You Can Make a Difference to Our Air, booklet, Melbourne.
11. DAS Centre for Environmental Management (undated) The Nasty Truth about Yellow Extinguishers, Melbourne.
12. DASETT (undated) The Greenhouse Effect, brochure, Canberra.
13. Department of Planning and Development, Victoria (1993) The Low Energy Suburb. Greenhouse Neighbourhood Project, Booklet, Melbourne.
14. Toner Express (undated) Don't discard laser cartridges, recharge and save, Advertising brochure, Melbourne.
15. Victorian Government (undated) Ten ways you can help keep Victoria Clean & Green, Booklet, Melbourne.
16. Greenhouse and Ecologically Sustainable Development Unit, Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (1993) Home Greenhouse Saver. What you can do to reduce the greenhouse effect, booklet, Third Edition, Melbourne.
17. Vic Roads, Office of the Environment, RACV (1991) Carpoolasaurus, Melbourne, Eco Vox and Associates.
18. EPA, Government of Victoria (1994) School Greenhouse Saver. How to reduce the greenhouse effect as you study, booklet, Melbourne.
19. EPA, Victoria (undated) A Breath of Air, booklet, Melbourne.
20. EPA, Victoria (1994) Ozone Protection in Victoria, Information Bulletin, Publication 409, April.
21. Anon. (1995) National News, Greenweek, 10 March.
22. Houghton, S. (1994) New Investment in Urban Public Transport, Australian Planner Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 7-11.
23. Vox Bandicoot (1994) The Green Grand Prix comes to the classroom! The RACV Energy Breakthrough, Eingana, June, pp. 19
24. Anon. (1995) Going Green at Pine Rivers, Environment Business, February, p. 16
25. Anon. (1995) Waste Targets Need Broadening, Environment Business, February, p. 16
26. Anon. (1994) Waste Cooperation, Environment Business, December, p. 12
27. Anon. (1994) Fall in Leaded Petrol, Environment Business, November, p. 16
28. Anon. (1994) Demand Management Sydney's Water, Greenweek, 23 September, p. 8.
29. Anon. (1994) Public transport boost in NSW budget, Greenweek, 23 September, p. 1.
30. Anon. (1994) National Water Week Launched, Greenweek, 28 October, p. 8.
31. Anon. (1994) 16 New South Wales Country Councils Get Funding for Bike- Ways, Greenweek, 11 November, p. 10.
32. Anon. (1994) Study Shows Education Can Help Eco-Tourism, Greenweek, 2 December, p. 8.
33. Anon. (1994) Recycling Breakthrough for Battery Consumers, Greenweek, 9 December, p. 10.
34. Anon. (1995) Rouse Hill Development, Greenweek, 3 February, p. 4.
35. Anon. (1995) Recycling works, Greenweek, 17 February, p. 1.
36. Anon. (1995) Environmental design, Greenweek, 17 February, p. 8.
37. Anon. (1995) Phosphates, Greenweek, 3 March, p. 4.
38. Anon. (1995) Water Wise City, Greenweek, 28 April, p. 1-2.
39. EPA and Government of Victoria (undated) Drop It and You'll Cop It, booklet, Melbourne.
40. Anon. (1995) Energy Card. Buy a Better Future, Greenweek, 12 May, p. 1.
41. Anon. (1995) Keep Your Roof Cavity Cool! Soft Technology, No. 52, p.8.
42. Anon. (1995) Saving Water in the Garden, Soft Technology, No. 52, p. 8.
43. Anon (1995) Ethical investments, Soft Technology, No. 52, p. 10.
44. Dreyfus, S. (1995) Money and Morals. An Ethical Investment Buying Guide, Soft Technology, No. 50, p. 30.
45. Energy Information Centre (undated) Building or Renovating, information sheet, Melbourne.
46. Energy Victoria (undated) Renewable Energy Assistance Program, booklet, Melbourne.
47. Energy Information Centre (1995) The House Energy Rating Software Package, information sheet, Melbourne.
48. Energy Information Centre (1993) Home Heating Hints, booklet, Melbourne.
49. Energy Information Centre (1993) Portable Heaters, booklet, Melbourne.
50. Energy Victoria News (1995), Autumn.
51. Energy Information Centre (1993) Choosing a Hot Water System, booklet, Melbourne.
52. Energy Information Centre (1993) Heating & Cooling Advisory Service, Melbourne.
53. Energy Information Centre (1995) Solar Hot Water, Melbourne.
54. Energy Victoria (1993) Guidelines for Building an Energy Efficient Home, Melbourne, 20 pp.
55. Office of Chief Electrical Inspector (1995) Energy Efficient Dishwashers, Energy Efficient Fridges and Freezers, Energy Efficient Air Conditioners, Energy Efficient Clothes washers and Dryers, booklets of star ratings for appliances, January.
56. Department of Primary Industries and Energy (1994) 1994-95 Fuel Consumption Guide, Canberra, AGPS.
57. Department of Primary Industries and Energy (1995) 1994-95 Fuel Consumption Guide Supplement, Canberra, AGPS.
58. Department of Housing and Regional Development (1994) Development Now, No. 13, Canberra, Green Street Joint Venture.
59. EPA (NSW) (1994) Recycling Directory, Chatswood.
60. EPA (NSW) (1993) Environment Matters: Rules for Off-Roading, Chatswood.
61. EPA (NSW) (1994) Environment Matters: Unleaded Petrol and Pre-1986 Vehicles, Chatswood.
62. EPA (NSW) (1993) Ozone Depleting Substances and their Alternatives.
63. CEPA (1994) Air lead levels and children's health, Canberra.
64. CEPA (1994) Switching to unleaded petrol, Canberra.
65. CEPA (1994) Composting, Canberra.
66. Yarra Valley Water (undated) 20 ways to save water, Melbourne.
67. Electricity Supply Association of Australia (ESAA) (1994) On Demand, newsletter, March.
68. Department of Health, Housing and Community Services (undated) Building Better Cities supplement to Urban Futures.
69. Spiller, M. (1993) Federal Initiatives on Better Cities, Urban Futures, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 15-24.
70. Enviro-Futures (1994) Greenhouse Action and Local Government, Report prepared for National Environmental Law Association, Middle Park, Vic.
71. Anon. (1995) Pacesetting Steel Cans Recycling Agreement, Environment Business, March, p. 19.
72. Anon. (1995) Straw in the Wind, Environment Business, March, p. 31.
73. The Body Shop (1994) Environmental Policy.
74. Melbourne Water (1993) Backyard to Bay Catchment Impacts: The Urban Waterway Challenge.
75. CEPA (1994) Lead alert. Lead and health, pamphlet, Canberra.
76. McDonald, F. (1995) Centre for Innovation in Waste Management, Monash University, personal communication.
77. Mees, P. (1995) Faculty of Architecture and Planning, University of Melbourne, personal communication.
78. Stone, J. (1995) Environment Victoria, personal communication.
79. Hooley, D. and Byrne, N. (1995) Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Victoria, personal communications.
80. Shepherd, R. (1995) Bicycle Victoria, personal communication.
81. Pears, A. (1995), Sustainable Solutions, personal communication.
82. Senate Standing Committee on Industry, Science and Technology (1991) Rescue the Future, Canberra, Commonwealth of Australia.
83. Santos, L. (1993) ACT Electricity and Water Energy Efficient House, Development Now, June Quarter.
84. Williams, S. (1993) How to Save Energy in Local Government, Melbourne, Municipal Conservation Association.
85. Belford, S. (1992) Redesigning Sydney for the New Century, Development Now, December Quarter.
86. Anon. (1994) Greenweek, 11 March.
87. Department of Health and Human Services (1995) Standard for the Uniform Scheduling of Drugs and Poisons, Canberra, AGPS.
88. Pearse, Warwick (1995), Worksafe Australia, personal communication.
89. Queensland Government (1995), Queensland Energy Policy Statement, Energy Efficiency & Alternative Energy.
90. Uren, K. (1995) CitiPower sell-off threat, Brunswick Sentinel, 20 February.
91. National Capital Planning Authority (1995), Australian Award for Urban Design, brochure.
92. Greenwood, I (1993), Work Based Car Pooling - A Pilot Study, Proceedings 16th ARRB Conference, Part 5, Vermont South, Vic., Australian Road Research Board.
93. Public Transport Gears Up for the Olympics (1994), Choice, September, p. 5.
94. Halperin, M. (1995), Energy schemes already in place. Letters, Choice, March, p. 35.
95. Urban Ecology Australia Inc. and The Centre for Urban Ecology (1993) The Halifax EcoCity Project, Adelaide.
96. Nature and Society Forum (1994) Good Energy Management, information kit, Canberra.
97. Anon. (1995) Environment Business, February, p. 12.
98. Anon. (1995) Environment Business, April, p. 12.
98. Anon. (1995) Environment Business, April, p. 24.
99. Anon. (1995) Environment Business, April, p. 27.
100. Anon. (1994) Energy South Australia, Newsletter of the Office of Energy, September, p. 4-6.
101. Anon. (1995) Nationwide House Energy Rating Scheme, Climate Change Newsletter 7(1), February, p. 9.
102. George Wilkenfeld and Associates (1994) Australia's National Greenhouse Response Strategy: Projected Impact of Response Actions on Greenhouse Gas Emissions from the Energy Sector in 1999/2000 and 2004/05, Report prepared for the Climate Change Assessment Section, DEST, August.
103. Anon. (1993) Green Pages, Looking Ahead, the Official newsletter of the Plastics Industry Association Environment Action Group, April/May, p. 5.
104. Anon. (1994) On Demand, Electricity Supply Association of Australia, June, p. 4.
105. Mills, Julie (1995), former President of Worldwide Home Environment Network (WHEN), personal communication. ((03) 598 8785, 18 Avondale Street, Hampton, Vic. 3188)
106. Mackenzie, J. (1993) Bicarb and Beyond: Effective and enjoyable action for a sustainable way of life, Householders Options to Protect the Environment (HOPE), Mansfield..
107. Mackenzie, J. (1993) Household Ecology Audit, Householders Options to Protect the Environment (HOPE), Mansfield.
108. Worldwide Home Environment Network (WHEN), (on-going) information programs for households.
109. Anon., McDonald's and the Environment (1992), Pennant Hills, NSW, McDonald's.
110. Australian Conservation Foundation (1992), Green Living. Ideas for the Home and Workplace, Melbourne.
111. Department of Planning and Housing (undated), Melbourne's Sprawl - Time to Act, Melbourne.
112. City of Brisbane (1992), Environmental Reforms of the Brisbane City Government, 1 October.
113. Government of Victoria (1991) Water for our Future, Melbourne Water Resources Review, Issues Paper, June, pp. 17-44.
114. ABARE (1993) Use of Economic Instruments in Integrated Coastal Zone Management, Coastal Zone Inquiry, Resource Assessment Commission.
115. SECV (1993) DM Dateline, May, p2.
116. CEPA, Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries, Australian Institute of Petroleum (1994) Unleaded petrol. Take the step, Canberra.
117. Anon. (1992) The Lean Machine Campaign, Energy South Australia, May, p. 7.
118. Electricity Services Victoria (1994) Demand Management Action Plan, Final Report, Books 1 and 2, Melbourne, September.
119. Anon. (1993) Demonstrating Renewable Energy, Energy South Australia, March, p. 1.
120. EPA (1994) Environment Matters: Home Renovations and Lead-Based Paint, Chatswood.
121. NHMRC (1991) National Plan for Domestic Chemicals, Canberra.
122. Anon. (1993) The Wearing of the Green, Choice, December.
123. Anon. (1993) Green Investments, Habitat, November, p. 47.
124. Anon. (1989) Defining Organic, Choice, October, p. 12.
125. Anon. (1995) Every Drop Counts, National Water Conservation Labelling Scheme, a collaborative initiative of Australia's water industry
126. Anon. Guide to the ACT Xeriscape garden. A Water Saving Demonstration Garden, ACT Government and local businesses.
127 Anon. (1995) Life Saving Water, Grass Roots, February, p 59.
128. Anon. (1995) Old Time Water Saving Tricks, Grass Roots, August, p. 21.
129. Anon (1994) Saving Water Over Summer, Soft Technology, January, p. 12
130. ACT Electricity & Water (1994) The ACTEW Guide to Rainwater Tanks, brochure.
131. Green Street (1994) Stringybark Grove.
132. NSW EPA (1994) State of the Environment Report for New South Wales.
133. National Capital Planning Authority (1993) Strategic Public Transport Development.
134. NSW Department of Planning (1993), Integrated Transport Strategy for Greater Sydney.
135. National Association for Sustainable Agriculture (undated), poster on certified food, Stirling, S.A.
136. Australian Consumers' Association files, No. 924105.
137. Anon. (1995) The Age, 2 August.
138. Australian Consumers' Association files, No. 914603
139. Australian Consumers' Association files, No. 934035
139a.EPA (1995) Lead Alert. Lead in Paint, Canberra.
139b.EPA (1995) Lead Alert. Painting your Home, Canberra.
140. NSW EPA (1994) Environment Matters: Solid Waste, Chatswood, NSW.
141. NSW EPA (1992) Home Composting, Chatswood, NSW.
142. NSW EPA (1992) Home Composting … It's Important, Chatswood, NSW.
143. NSW EPA, Kerbside Quarterly, Chatswood, NSW.
144. NSW EPA, Reducing Waste in NSW, Chatswood, NSW.
145. NSW EPA, Waste Wise a Quest (video+book , Chatswood, NSW.
146. Clean Up International (1993) Clean Up the World: how to do it.
147. Johnson, R. Collecting household batteries; information (ACA files 74207)
148. NSW EPA, Surf, Skate, Rap & Recycle (poster ) Chatswood, NSW.
149. Sydney Water Board (1994) Fresh Water, a video, Sydney.
150. NSW EPA (undated) Cooks River Activity Booklet, Chatswood, NSW.
151. ACT Electricity & Water (1993) ACT water - Where Does it Come From (poster), Canberra.
152. Patrick, J. (1994) Beautiful Gardens with Less Water,
153. Queensland Department of Primary Industry (1991) Catchment Care, Brisbane.
154. NSW EPA (1994) Washing the Car, Chatswood, NSW.
155. Government of NSW (1993) Guidelines for Urban and Residential Use of Reclaimed Water, Sydney.
156. ACT Electricity & Water (undated) How to Save Water and Money, Everyday, Canberra.
157. ACT Electricity & Water (undated) How to Save Water, Money and the Environment, Canberra.
158. ACT Electricity & Water (undated) How to Use Water Wisely in Your Garden, Canberra.
159. NSW EPA (1994) Know Where It all Goes, poster, Chatswood, NSW.
160. ACT Electricity & Water (1994) Save Water Before It Costs the Earth, Canberra.
161. ACT Electricity & Water (undated) Saving Water - How You Can Help, Canberra.
162. Sydney Water Board (1994) Water and the Urban Environment - The Sewerage System, video, Sydney.
163. Sydney Water Board (1994) Water and the Urban Environment - The Urban Water Cycle, video, Sydney.
164. ACT Electricity & Water, Water Watch, ACTEW newsletter, Canberra.
165. Colwill, John (undated), Water Wise, series of brochures, Water Authority of WA.
166. Friends of the Earth (1992) Environmental Awareness Campaign in the Ethnic Media.
167. NSW EPA (undated) Do the Right Thing kit, Chatswood.
168. NSW EPA (1994) Everyday Things We Can Do To Improve Our Environment, Chatswood, NSW.
169. Friends of the Earth (1989) 1001 Hints to Help Save the Planet.
170. Friends of the Earth (1989) How to Buy Green.
171. Gell, R. (1989) It's Easy Being Green, Everyday Environmental Practices for Australian Homes.
172. NSW EPA (1993) Living Sustainably (poster), Chatswood, NSW.
173. Gore, M. (1989) Shop Safe: Australia's Green Consumers Guide.
174. NSW EPA (1994) Solutions to Pollution Video, Chatswood, NSW.
175. Elkington, J. and Australian Consumers' Association (1989) The Green Consumer Guide, Sydney, ACA.
176. Ryan, F. (1989) 101 Ways to Save our Environment.
177. Anon. (1990) Earth Quest: the Family Guide to Protecting the Environment.