Key departmental publications, e.g. annual reports, budget papers and program guidelines are available in our online archive.
Much of the material listed on these archived web pages has been superseded, or served a particular purpose at a particular time. It may contain references to activities or policies that have no current application. Many archived documents may link to web pages that have moved or no longer exist, or may refer to other documents that are no longer available.
Resource Assessment Commission, November 1993
ISBN 0 64429457
Appendix D Associated Publications
D.01 A number of reports and papers were prepared, but not necessarily published, in conjunction with this Inquiry. Appendix F describes arrangements for obtaining copies of publications and lists libraries holding copies.
D.1 CONSULTANTS' REPORTS
D.02 Twenty reports dealing with matters related to the Inquiry were submitted by consultants. It should be noted that the views expressed in these reports are those of the consultants. The reports and their authors follow:
- The Australian coastal zone: a bibliography of the natural environment of the coastline, Australian Heritage Commission Bibliography Series No. 7, compiled by the Australian Heritage Commission in association with the Resource Assessment Commission;
- New federalism, intergovernmental relations and environment policy, by Brian Galligan and Christine Fletcher, Federalism Research Centre, Australian National University;
- A voice in all places: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander interests in Australia's coastal zone, 2nd edition, by Dermot Smyth, consultant;
- An overview of legal issues relevant to coastal zone management in Australia, by M C Holm, Mallesons Stephen Jaques;
- Existing and potential mechanisms for indigenous involvement in coastal zone resource management, by J C Altman, A Ginn and D E Smith (assisted by L M Roach), Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, Faculty of Arts, Australian National University;
- Strategic management in the public sector: managing the coastal zone, by Glyn Davis and Patrick Weller, Centre for Australian Public Sector Management, Griffith University;
- The development and application of institutional arrangements and intergovernmental agreements to coastal zone management, by P Simpson and Associates;
- Analysis of strategic planning processes and initiatives for coastal management, by David Pitts, Environment, Science and Services;
- The prospect for institutional arrangements to promote integrated coastal management, by Dick Osborn, consultant;
- 'Financing of coastal zone management by state and Northern Territory governments', by Robert Smith, consultant (incorporated in Information Paper No. 7) (unpublished);
- Use of economic instruments in integrated coastal zone management, by the Australian Bureau of Agriculture and Resource Economics;
- A sea change: overseas indigenous-government relations in the coastal zone, by Peter Jull, consultant;
- 'Community marine education programs in Australia today: a review of education and information programs which shape public attitudes, opinion and behaviour toward the coastal zone',compiled by Don Alcock, Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (unpublished);
- Between the devil and the deep blue sea: meeting the information and research needs of Australia's coastal managers, by Valerie A Brown and Gill Burke, Australian National University;
- Achieving local ownership of national goals for the coastal zone, by Lois Cutts, Dick Osborn and Mike Reynolds, Australian Centre for Local Government Studies, Australian National University;
- 'Human resource impediments to the enhancement of local government expertise in coastal zone resource management', by David Efraemson and Associates (unpublished);
- Legislative options for national coastal zone management, John Taberner, Freehill Hollingdale and Page;
- Coastal industry in Western Port, Kwinana and Gladstone-summary report and Coastal industry case studies, by Jeff Smith, AGC Woodward-Clyde Pty Limited;
- The Tasmanian pacific oyster industry in north west Tasmania. The Tasmanian atlantic salmon industry in the Huon River estuary. Two reports by the Tasmanian Department of Environment and Land Management;
- Water quality management: five case studies, compiled by the Resource Assessment Commission in association with five independent consultants.
D.2 INFORMATION PAPERS
D.03 Information papers are based on research undertaken by Commission staff. Eight information papers are available:
- Information Paper No. 1-Government approaches to coastal zone resource management;
- Information Paper No. 2-Recommendations from previous reports and inquiries relevant to the coastal zone;
- Information Paper No. 3-Resources and uses of the coastal zone;
- Information Paper No. 4-Values and attitudes concerning the coastal zone;
- Information Paper No. 5-Coastal zone management objectives;
- Information Paper No. 6-Integrated resource management;
- Information Paper No. 7-Coastal zone management financial arrangements;
- Information Paper No. 8-The carrying capacity concept and its application to the management of coastal zone resources.
D.3 CASE STUDY REPORTS
D.04 Case studies were undertaken in collaboration with state and local governments. Six case study reports were published in conjunction with the Inquiry's draft report:
- New South Wales case study-coastal zone management in the north coast region: shires of Byron, Ballina and Maclean;
- Queensland case study-coastal zone management in the Cairns area;
- Western Australian case study-study area Geographe Bay;
- Victorian case study-coastal management and decision making processes in the Westernport region;
- South Australian case study-coastal management and decision making processes in the Yorke Peninsula area;
- Tasmanian case study-coastal management and decision making processes in the Huon-Channel area.
D.4 OTHER PUBLICATIONS
D.05 The Coastal Zone Inquiry-background paper was published in April 1992.
D.06 The Coastal Zone Inquiry Draft Report was released in February 1993 and distributed widely for comment. The Coastal Zone Inquiry draft report: summary and interim conclusions was also released at that time.
D.07 A national coastal action plan: the draft conclusions and recommendations of the Coastal Zone Inquiry was released in August 1993, providing a basis for final consultations on the Inquiry's proposals.