Case studies for the Assessment of Australia's Terrestrial Biodiversity 2008
Report prepared by the Biodiversity Assessment Working Group
of the National Land and Water Resources Audit
for the Australian Government, Canberra.
This assessment report was based on nationally consistent datasets, where these were available.
As such data were not always available, a series of case studies were commissioned as part of this assessment, to provide data and information about a range of threatened species and communities across Australia.
Most case studies selected were relatively data-rich examples and relate to Chapters 4, 5 and 6. In some instances the case studies were summarised in the main report and the complete versions are presented below.
Chapter 2 Terrestrial Ecosystems
- Assessing Native Vegetation Condition using the Bushland Condition Monitoring Method and South Australian Biodiversity Assessment Tool (SABAT) (PDF - 209 KB) | (Word - 333 KB)
Chapter 4 Species and communities
- Change in indigenous mammal species at a bioregional scale since European settlement (PDF - 122 KB) | (Word - 444 KB)
- Eastern Stirling Range Montane Heath and Thicket Community (PDF - 188 KB) | (Word - 699 KB)
- Helmeted honeyeater Lichenostomus melanops cassidix (PDF - 343 KB) | (Word - 496 KB)
- Lord Howe Island Group native species and ecological communities (PDF - 225 KB) | (Word - 257 KB)
- Mallee emu-wren Stipiturus mallee (complete case study 4.3) (PDF - 137 KB) | (Word - 431 KB)
- Mellblom's spider-orchid Caladenia hastata (Nicholls) Rupp (PDF - 203 KB) | (Word - 287 KB)
- Small mammals and reptiles of Lorna Glen, an ex-pastoral station (PDF - 153 KB) | (Word - 355 KB)
- South-eastern red-tailed black-cockatoo Calyptorhynchus banksii graptogyne (PDF - 447 KB) | (Word - 630 KB)
- Status of the greater bilby (Macrotis lagotis) within the Arid Recovery Reserve (PDF - 90 KB) | (Word - 139 KB)
- Stygofaunal communities of north-west Western Australia (PDF - 119 KB) | (Word - 313 KB)
- Threatened Tasmanian Burrowing Crayfish â€“ Tasmania (PDF - 135 KB) | (Word - 209 KB)
- Yellow-footed rock-wallaby recovery in the Flinders and Olary Ranges, South Australia (PDF - 276 KB) | (Word - 305 KB)
Chapter 6: Managing the threats to Australia's biodiversity
- Bounceback - Threat abatement programs aimed at ecological recovery in the semi-arid rangelands of South Australia (complete case study 6.2) (PDF - 212 KB) | (Word - 446 KB)