R. Wager and P. Jackson
Environment Australia, June 1993
ISBN 0 6421 6818 0
Species recovery outline: Swamp Galaxias, Small Pedder Galaxias
Scientific name: Galaxias parvus
English Names: Small Pedder Galaxias, Swamp Galaxias
Species taxonomic status: Formally described by Frankenberg, 1968.
Species survival status:
- Action plan status: Poorly Known.
- Australian Society for Fish Biology status: Potentially Threatened.
- Proposed new IUCN criteria status: Insufficient information to allow classification with this scheme.
Former distribution: Restricted to the headwaters of the Gordon and Huon Rivers in south western Tasmania.
Current distribution: As above.
Habitat: Open, shallow stretches or vegetated margins of swamps, quiet pools or backwaters.
Reasons for decline: Not known. May not have seriously declined.
Conservation reserves on which species occurs: Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage area.
Other public lands on which species occurs: Crown Land vested in the Hydro-Electric Commission.
Other land on which species occurs: None known.
Is knowledge about species adequate for objectives and actions to be defined accurately? (If not provide list of additional studies required): No.
- Determine whether the distribution and/or abundance is declining.
Recovery objectives: Maintain current distribution and abundance.
Management actions already initiated: None.
Management actions required:
- Declaration of additional conservation reserves: Not required.
- Habitat management: Protect swamps and button grass plains from drainage schemes.
- Feral animal control: Not required.
- Translocation or re-establishment of populations: Not required.
- Captive breeding: Not required.
- Other: No.
Organisations responsible for conservation of species:
- Inland Fisheries Commission.
Other organisations or individuals involved:
- Department of Environment and Land Management.
Can recovery plan be carried out with existing resources?: No.
- Cost of annual monitoring of this species would be included in an annual program to monitor Swan Galaxias,Clarence Galaxias, swamp galaxias, Saddled Galaxias and Dwarf Galaxias (see Swan Galaxias for details). Annual funding required for monitoring of this species would be $2 440.
Annual monitoring $2 440
Remarks: Pedder Galaxias (Galaxias pedderensis) also found in the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area.