NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service, September 2001
ISBN 0 731 36281 0
13 Community Awareness and Involvement
Local community awareness can play a vital role in the conservation of endangered species. Community activities such as monitoring and survey will be encouraged.
Community involvement is an ongoing necessity and will be extended to include all the landowners in the areas where G. obtusiflora has been found.
The objectives of the community awareness and involvement program are;
- to increase community awareness of G. obtusiflora;
- to guide and assist the owners and managers of G. obtusiflora habitat in the recovery efforts on their lands; and
- to ensure that local, State government and Commonwealth agencies make informed decisions on matters that affect the conservation of G. obtusiflora.
- The NPWS will produce· and disseminate to local and State government agencies a species information sheet and an environmental impact assessment guideline (Appendix 4) on G. obtusiflora.
- The NPWS to present talks on G. obtusiflora to local community groups, and encourage participation of these groups in recovery actions.
- Land management practices that are sensitive to the recovery of G. obtusiflora are implemented by land managers and owners within five years.
- Rylstone Shire Council decision reports on proposals affecting G. obtusiflora or its habitat include specific consideration of G. obtusiflora within one year.