Exporting and importing household pets

Non–native household pets—leaving Australia

Household pets may be taken out of Australia, depending on the type of pet.

  • If your pet is not a native animal, and is not on the CITES list, it can usually leave Australia.
  • If your pet is not a native animal, but is on the CITES list you will need to:
    1. obtain an export permit, and
    2. check the permit and quarantine requirements of the importing country.

Non–native household pets—coming to Australia

Live import list

Species that may be imported live into Australia are included on the list of specimens taken to be suitable for live import - the live import list.

Species not included on the live import list cannot be imported into Australia.

Household pets may be allowed into Australia:

Quarantine requirements

Please also check quarantine requirements with Department of Agriculture - Biosecurity.

Exporting native household pets

In general, Australian native animals are not permitted to leave Australia. This is to protect and conserve Australian native wildlife.

But you may be able to take some native pets overseas as long as they will not be used for commercial purposes such as selling or trading. If you would like to take your pet with you when you leave Australia, you must:

  • be an Australian resident or ordinarily reside in Australia
  • have owned and kept the animal as a household pet
  • be leaving Australia with the intention of taking up permanent residence in another country.

Native household pets that may be taken internationally are listed below. All have a limit of three animals, except budgerigars and cockatiels, which are limited to a non-commercial quantity:

  • Sulphur-crested cockatoo (Cacatua galerita)
  • Galah (Eolophus roseicapillus)
  • Little corella (Cacatua sanguinea)
  • Long-billed corella (Cacatua tenuirostris)
  • Cockatiel (Nymphicus hollandicus)
  • Budgerigar (Melopsittacus undulatus).

Pet fish and pet cockroaches/spiders can be exported if sourced from an approved source.

No other native Australian animal may be taken outside Australia as a household pet.

Permit applications

For application forms and how to apply see: Household pets—Wildlife trade permits.

See also