Appealing the minister's decision

If you are not satisfied with a ministerial decision on amending the live import list, you should contact the Department to discuss the decision and, where appropriate, provide further information for the Department's consideration.

Commonwealth Ombudsman

If you are not satisfied with the handling of your case, you may also contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman and request an investigation of the administrative actions affecting you. The Commonwealth Ombudsman's office may require that your request be made in writing. If you approach the Commonwealth Ombudsman, you should also be mindful of appeal deadlines.

People with legal standing may apply to the Federal Court under the Administrative Decisions (Judicial Review) Act 1977 for a judicial review of decisions made under Part 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999, providing those decisions are reviewable under that Act.

Applications must be made within 30 days after the minister's decision is made. In addition, people affected by decisions under these provisions may request a written statement of reasons under the Administrative Decisions (Judicial Review) Act 1977.