Applying for a permit/authority
Permit application process
- Check relevant lists of plants and animals to determine whether you need to apply for a permit.
- Go to online application form to apply for a permit/authority. For sharks, complete a paper-based permit.
Wildlife Trade Permit Application - Sharks (PDF - 58.9 KB)
Wildlife Trade Permit Application - Sharks (DOCX - 60.49 KB)
- Complete all parts of the application.
- Compile evidence of your ownership, the item's origin and species.
- Scan and attach all supporting documentation. Failure to do this will result in delays.
What happens next
When we receive your application, we will assess it to ensure it meets national environment law requirements.
If additional information is required to complete the assessment your application, you will be contacted by this office. Once all information has been received, the assessment of your application will be completed within 40 business days, as required by the legislation.
If your application is approved, a permit/authority will be sent to you at the address nominated in your application.
If you are unable to apply for a permit online – please contact this office to discuss an alternative method for submitting an application.
For more information contact:
Wildlife Trade Regulation Section
Department of the Environment
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601
Telephone: (02) 6274 1900
Facsimile: (02) 6274 1921