The United States of America (the US) requires that shipments with CITES documents destined for the US must be validated by the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service prior to export.
It is the exporter’s responsibility to ensure that the export documentation complies with all US importing requirements. In particular, it is the exporter’s responsibility to ensure that all required endorsements have been obtained and made in accordance with those requirements, prior to the export of the goods.
Information for Shipments to the United States of America.
- Important Note for Shipments to the United States of America (Revised Information—15 March 2011) (PDF 50 KB) | (Doc 69 KB)
- Attachment ‘A’: an example of a completed CITES Single Use Permit (PDF 220 KB)
- Attachment ‘B’: an example of a Multiple Use CITES Permit and a Specimen Export Record (SER) (PDF 562 KB)
- For any queries or further information about US export requirements contact:
Wildlife Trade Regulation Section
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601
Telephone: (02) 6274 1900
Facsimile: (02) 6274 1921
In this section:
Permit applications and forms
- Do you need a permit?
- Types of permits available
- Applying for a permit
- What to do with your permit
- Complying with permit conditions
- Exporting to the USA
- Customs procedures for export permits
Wildlife trade permits
- Plants and animals (including products)
- Specimen export records
- Household pets
- Pre–CITES certificate or certificate of origin
- Biological control agents
- Zoological organisations