|List||Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)|
|Legal Status||Registered (21/03/1978)|
|Place File No||6/01/004/0155|
|Statement of Significance|
A fine Colonial home built for Surveyor-General George Frankland in 1831 on a commanding site granted to Frankland in 1830 and extending to the Derwent River.
(The Commission is in the process of developing and/or upgrading official statements for places listed prior to 1991. The above data was mainly provided by the nominator and has not yet been revised by the Commission.)
|Official Values Not Available|
|Single storey Colonial stone residence with tall basement. Pecked blockwork, quoins expressed. Central protruding bay. Verandah added possibly in 1840's with fine trellis columns and diagonal balustrading. Large eighteen pane double hung windows open on to verandah. Iron hip roof. Stone service wing with parapet. Fine garden destroyed 1924. Most commanding position in Battery Point.|
|History Not Available|
|Condition and Integrity|
|Built on estate granted to Surveyor General George Frankland in 1830. Frankland named the estate after Secheron Point on Lake Geneva which he knew well. Hobart City Council purchased part of the estate in 1924 and constructed road and sold lots.|
|21 Secheron Road, Battery Point, overlooking Clarke Avenue.|
GRAEME ROBERTSON.EARLY BUILDINGS OF S.TAS.VOL 1 ::::TASMANIAN TOURIST |
COUNCIL LET'S TALK ABOUT BATTERY POINT.
Report Produced Thu Dec 5 22:41:56 2013