|List||Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)|
|Legal Status||Registered (14/05/1991)|
|Place File No||2/11/046/0055|
|Statement of Significance|
|This structure is a rare surviving suburban park keeper's lodge and is the only one still standing in St Kilda (Criterion B.2). The place is a good example of the small cottage ornee type structures built to accommodate park keepers at the time. Such lodges were key elements of public parks, although many examples have been degraded by vandalism (Criterion D.2).|
|Official Values Not Available|
|The building originally comprised the front section and one projecting rear room, resulting in three rooms arranged around the central chimney. The front door is in the centre of the facade and opens directly into the principal room. The planning and form of the building reflects the nineteenth century practice of building cottage ornee type structures in locations such as public parks, consistent with the resources available. Consequently the building has three gables, sizeable eaves, bargeboards and finials. Windows are double hung. Construction of this simple Gothic Revival style building is in rendered brickwork with a slate roof. The hip roofed section was added in 1880. The contract for the erection of the lodge in the Alma Street (later, Road) Reserve was signed in 1872. However, an 1873 Borough Council Map does not show the building, indicating that it was built after that time.|
|History Not Available|
|Condition and Integrity|
|The building is empty, vandalised and left open. Windows are smashed, doors are unlocked and roof slates are missing. Later rear additions have been largely removed. (August 1987)|
|Alma Park West, 160 Dandenong Road, St Kilda East.|
NIGEL LEWIS AND ASSOCIATES, ARCHITECTS AND CONSERVATION PLANNERS, |
"ST KILDA CONSERVATION STUDY AREA 1".
CITY OF ST KILDA CITY ENGINEERS DEPARTMENT, ORIGINAL DRAWINGS.
Report Produced Tue Apr 22 00:54:03 2014