|List||Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)|
|Legal Status||Registered (14/05/1991)|
|Place File No||1/16/007/0003|
|Statement of Significance|
|The first State Housing Project in New South Wales (NSW), built as a model village of workmen's homes, as an example to shire and municipal councils. A rare social and architectural experiment of great influence on Australian cottage and public estate housing in the twentieth century.|
|Official Values Not Available|
Initially designed by architect W H Foggitt under George McRae, Dacey Garden Suburb was intended to occupy 443 acres with a density of seven cottages per acre.
It was to be a self contained residential unit and made provision for shops, schools, churches, amusement halls, police and fire stations and a technical college.
No sites were set aside for industrial or manufacturing activity.
Major roads radiating from the nine ways intersection at Anzac Parade in widths of 100ft intersected by secondary roads in concentric arcs of 66ft. All utility services were connected before building commenced and there were no rear lanes, in sharp contrast to the common development practice of the day. The curator of the Royal Botanical Gardens, H J Maiden planned and directed street planting and estate landscaping after 1913, as well as acting as judge of the tenants' annual cottage garden competition. In 1912 John Sulman, in association with John Hennessy, made the first in a series of modifications to the suburb plan, suggesting the location of the major public buildings. W H Foggitt designed the first houses, whose construction materials, colours and forms (hipped and gabled roofs, overhanging eaves with exposed projecting rafters and deeply recessed verandahs) of early designs show a marked resemblance to the work of E Lutyens at Port Sunlight, a model suburb near Liverpool, which was well publicised in the professional media.
Architectural competitions were for cheap cottages to be erected in the garden suburb in 1912, attracting entries from promising young architects such as S G Thorp (whose practice in later years became Peddle Thorp and Walker) and W Hardy Wilson.
There was some experimentation with concrete construction.
By 1917 only 240 of the planned 1,437 cottages and a few of the public buildings
(the police station, sub-station, community hall and six shops) had been built and by 1924 work ceased.
The Daceyville Public School, built in 1921, is an integral element of the garden suburb. The first of the projects of the State Housing Board (later the Housing Commission, now the Housing Department of NSW), an innovative social experiment later copied elsewhere in Australia. Nearly all the area is still in Government ownership.
|History Not Available|
|Condition and Integrity|
|The Housing Department of NSW has recently undertaken major infill developments, in which great pains were taken to design in harmony with the older buildings and rehabilitation of 170 existing cottages. Sympathetic new buildings have been sited in land taken from former back yards of older houses in order to increase residential density, but this has changed the original subdivision of the land. The community hall in General Bridges Crescent has been demolished.|
|Approximately 20ha, comprising that part of Daceyville bounded by a line commencing at the intersection of Gardeners and Bunnerong Roads, then proceeding southerly via the centreline of the latter road to the alignment of the southern boundary of Daceyville Public School, then westerly via that alignment and boundary and the centrelines of Banks Avenue, Wills Crescent, Haig Avenue, Gwea Avenue, Isaac Smith Street and Astrolabe Road to the centreline of Gardeners Road, then via that line to the commencement point.|
BURKE,S 'THE GARDEN SUBURB IDEA, ITS EVOLUTION IN NSW BEFORE WWI AND |
THE CONSERVATION OF HABERFIELD GARDEN SUBURB, SYDNEY.' M.SC.ARCH.
THESIS UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY, 1985.
Report Produced Sat Sep 20 19:20:11 2014