Place Details

Send Feedback

Dickabram Bridge, Gunalda-Miva Rd, Miva, QLD, Australia

Photographs View Photo Database Record
List Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)
Class Historic
Legal Status Registered (26/04/1988)
Place ID 15956
Place File No 4/02/117/0002
Statement of Significance
The bridge was designed in 1884 by Henry Charles Stanley and placed in service in 1886. It is the oldest remaining of the early large metal truss bridges constructed with the Queensland Railways; most of the others have since been replaced. It is also of interest because of its similarity to others of these original bridges, notably the first Indooroopilly Rail Bridge, also designed by Stanley, which was placed in service in 1876 and washed away in 1893. The understrutted timber girder approaches are substantial and appear to be essentially in their original form. This type of construction has been removed on most other Queensland bridges. These approach structures are also comparatively old examples of this type of construction.
Official Values Not Available
Description
The bridge has spans of 6.1m, 7.9m, three at 11m, 11.6m, 24.1m, 36.6m, 24.1m, 11.6m, two at 11m, 7.9m and 6.1m. The 24.1m, 36.6m and 24.1m spans are metal trusses. The side spans are half through parallel chord lattice trusses; the main span is a through type hogback, lattice truss. The 11m approach spans are understrutted and tied timber girders. The bridge carries a roadway and a single track 1.07m gauge railway on transomes. The road deck is of timber. The two river piers are cast iron cylinders; the remaining piers are timber.
History Not Available
Condition and Integrity
The bridge is in use and appears to be in good condition and in its original state.
Location
Gunalda-Miva Road over the Mary River, 0.5km north-east of Miva.
Bibliography
C O'CONNOR, "REGISTER OF AUSTRALIAN HISTORIC BRIDGES" 1983.
C O'CONNOR, "SPANNING TWO CENTURIES" UQP 1985.

Report Produced  Thu Apr 24 06:10:40 2014