Place Details

Send Feedback

Emery Point Lighthouse, Allen Av, Larrakeyah, NT, Australia

Photographs None
List Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)
Class Historic
Legal Status Indicative Place
Place ID 16274
Place File No 7/03/004/0106
Nominator's Statement of Significance
Emery Point Lighthouse has considerable historical significance to Darwin. It was the second lighthouse to be built in Darwin's harbour. It was the only navigational aid to remain functional in the path of Cyclone Tracy.
Official Values Not Available
Description
The Emery Point Lighthouse is a white metal lattice tower and lantern. The height of the tower and latern is 18m above sea level and is actually 9m from the base to the lantern at ground level the light is powered with a 1,000 watt tungsten halogen lamp which exhibits an occulting light of 4.5 seconds every 6 seconds, with an eclipse of 1.5 seconds. The light has a nominal range of 17 nautical miles. The original light was established in 1900 and dismantled in may 1915. The present tower and lantern were erected to replace that one in 1915. Originally acetelene gas was used as an illuminate. The light was converted to electric operation with acetylene gas standby on 23 March 1966. The light was the only navigational aid to remain functional in the path of Cyclone Tracy.
History Not Available
Condition and Integrity Not Available
Location
Allen Avenue, Larrakeyah.
Bibliography
DEP'T OF T'PORT , COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA;LARRAKEYAH BARRACKS,
DARWIN
'REGISTER OF SIGNIFICANT EUROPEAN CULTURAL SITES IN THE N.T.'
CAROL HARDWICK OCTOBER 1984

Report Produced  Wed Sep 3 15:16:36 2014