Place Details

Send Feedback

Middle Head Fortifications, Old Fort Rd, Georges Heights, NSW, Australia

Photographs None
List Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)
Class Historic
Legal Status Registered (21/03/1978)
Place ID 2872
Place File No 1/13/026/0004
Statement of Significance
This is probably the most important defence site of the whole Middle Head complex. It is interesting because works of many periods and technologies have survived side by side. Historically it dates from a time when defence was first moved away from Sydney Cove towards The Heads.

(The Commission is in the process of developing and/or upgrading official statements for places listed prior to 1991. The above data was mainly provided by the nominator and has not yet been revised by the Commission.)
Official Values Not Available
Description
The first Battery was constructed in 1871 to the design of J Barnet, colonial architect. The Fort was a strategic site which received many additions until 1911. The whole is linked by underground tunnels, ancillary rooms and magazines. There is also an interesting underground power room with iron columns.
History Not Available
Condition and Integrity Not Available
Location
Located at the end of Old Fort Road, Middle Head, Georges Heights. Includes all fortifications built between 1870 and 1911.
Bibliography Not Available

Report Produced  Sat Sep 20 01:22:16 2014