Place Details

Send Feedback

Uniting Church, 24 Lyttleton St West, Castlemaine, VIC, Australia

Photographs View Photo Database Record
List Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)
Class Historic
Legal Status Registered (21/10/1980)
Place ID 4203
Place File No 2/06/092/0019
Nominator's Statement of Significance
The former Congregational Church (1862), chapel (1855) and parsonage (1857) form an intact ecclesiastical group in Castlemaine and one of considerable architectural importance. The primitive chapel contrasts with the highly eclectic and unusual decorated Gothic church of 1862 to illustrate the changing fortunes of the congregationalists in gold mining Castlemaine. The 1862 church is one of the most florid and early examples of polychromy in Victoria in a style without parallel.
Official Values Not Available
Description
The foundation stone of the first Congregational Church at Castlemaine designed by architect Clement Wilks to serve as a temporary church, Sunday and day school, was laid on 7 March 1855. This simple primitive early English Gothic brick structure was superseded by a new church, erected in 1861-62 of dichromatic brickwork in a florid decorated Gothic Revival style designed by William Spencer. The church has a slate roof. The nave has highlights over sided aisles, the roof is supported on locally-cast cast iron columns from which the timber trusses are sprung.
History Not Available
Condition and Integrity
The former Congregational Church and chapel have been made redundant by unification of the churches in Victoria and are being converted to commercial usage.
Location
24 Lyttleton Street West, Castlemaine.
Bibliography
HISTORIC BUILDINGS PRESERVATION COUNCIL, FILE C/4/20.
'CITY OF CASTLEMAINE ARCHITECTURAL AND HISTORICAL SURVEY' PREPARED BY
PERROTT, LYON MATHIESON PTY LTD. JUNE 1979. SECTION 24.
GEORGE, N. 'JUBILEE HISTORY OF THE CASTLEMAINE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH'
MANUSCRIPT 1904.
'MOUNT ALEXANDER MAIL'. 8 MARCH 1855, 12 MARCH 1862, 7 OCTOBER 1886,
20 NOVEMBER 1886, 11 JANUARY 1887, 25 JANUARY 1887, 26 JANUARY 1887,
2 FEBRUARY 1887.
SUBMISSION TO THE HISTORIC BUILDINGS COUNCIL CLASSIFICATIONS SUB-
COMMITTEE BY THE ORGAN HISTORICAL TRUST OF AUSTRALIA, 22 MARCH 1979.
MATTHEWS, E.N. "COLONIAL ORGANS AND ORGAN BUILDERS" M.U.P., MELBOURNE,
1969, PP113, 133, 165.

Report Produced  Fri Apr 18 19:48:13 2014