|List||Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)|
|Legal Status||Registered (26/03/1985)|
|Place File No||7/03/008/0017|
|Statement of Significance|
Adelaide River Railway Station, dating from 1888, is historically important for its direct association with the North Australian Railway system through to 1976 when the line closed.
One of the earliest stations built on the line, it was the only one with a refreshment room and the station also played a strategic role during World War Two troop and supply movements (Criterion A.4)(Theme 3.7, Moving goods and people).
The station building, with its late nineteenth century design, its scale and its form makes a notable aesthetic contribution to the Adelaide River townscape (Criterion E.1).
It is possible that Indigenous cultural values of National Estate significance may exist in this place. As yet, the AHC has not identified, documented or assessed these values.
|Official Values Not Available|
The Adelaide River Railway Station building is a substantial structure on a concrete slab.
It has a timber frame and is clad with corrugated iron like so many of the buildings of its era.
The iron roof is hipped, there is a central chimney, and a verandah runs around three sides of the building.
The station incorporates a residence and refreshment room.
Constructed in 1888 during the building of the North Australian Railway (Darwin to Pine Creek), the station served a small township strategically situated at the Adelaide River crossing place on the road from Southport to the gold fields. It was one of the earliest stations built on the line.
The Adelaide River refreshment room was the only such facility on the original length of the North Australian Railway. It opened for service twice weekly on the arrival of trains, and a special feature was the availability of ice brought from Darwin. During World War Two the station was of strategic significance owing to the movement of troops and supplies by rail transport. In 1951 the refreshment room was licensed; soon afterwards this licence was transferred to the present Adelaide River Hotel. The railway ceased operation in 1976 and for a time the site was abandoned. However, it is now occupied by or on behalf of the National Trust of Australia (NT). The station, given its scale, form and materials makes an important contribution to the townscape of Adelaide River.
There is a toilet block nearby and also an overhead water tank on an iron stand, behind which is a reservoir.
SIGNIFICANT ASSOCIATIONS; SIGNIFICANT DATES
|History Not Available|
|Condition and Integrity|
|The station has now been restored and is maintained by the National Trust of Australia (NT) and by its tenants. (1994)|
|Stuart Highway, Adelaide River.|
Carment, D, The Tourism Potential of Historic Sites in and around the Town of Adelaide River, Report to the N.T. Development Corporation, 1982. |
Hardwick, C, Register of Significant European Cultural Sites in the N.T., 1984.
Harvey, JY. 1987. The Never-Never Line: the story of the North Australia railway, Hyland House, Melbourne.
Stevenson, IR. 1979. The Line That Led To Nowhere: the story of the North Australia Railway, Rigby, Adelaide.
Troppo Architects, Adelaide River Railway Station: A Conservation Study, a report for the National Trust of Australia (NT), Darwin 1983.
Report Produced Thu Apr 17 08:32:39 2014