Place Details

Send Feedback

Malvern House, 5-15 Willoby Av, Glen Iris, VIC, Australia

Photographs View Photo Database Record
List Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)
Class Historic
Legal Status Registered (21/03/1978)
Place ID 5768
Place File No 2/17/032/0001
Statement of Significance
Valentines is of architectural significance as an intact example of Boom Classicism architecture in Melbourne and an important work of the long established architect Thomas Watts. The mansion is of historical importance as an illustration of the extravagant and reckless nature of land boom speculation in late nineteenth century Victoria, and for associations with the once powerful Davies financial empire. The spatial effect of the towering ballroom and elaborate interior finishes are notable qualities.

(The Commission is in the process of developing and/or upgrading official statements for places listed prior to 1991. The above data was mainly provided by the nominator and has not yet been revised by the Commission.)
Official Values Not Available
Description
Valentines, an ornate two storey stucco rendered brick mansion in Willoby Avenue, Malvern, now occupied by the Caulfield Grammar School was erected at the height of the land boom era in 1891-92 for Melbourne solicitor, politician and ill fated speculator, John Mark Davies. Boom style Classicism mansion, referred to as Davies' Folly, was designed by T Watts and Sons, architects and reputedly erected by Joseph Hollow, builder.
History Not Available
Condition and Integrity
Valentines, now occupied as a private day school, has been sensitively converted to a new use. The interior has been thoroughly maintained and enhanced but the exterior fabric and stucco is badly deteriorated and requires extensive rehabilitation.
Location
5-15 Willoby Avenue, Glen Iris.
Bibliography
COOPER, JOHN B. HISTORY OF MALVERN 1836-1936, MELBOURNE,1935,
P182-42.
NATIONAL TRUST OF AUSTRALIA (VICTORIA) FILE NO 814, 'RESEARCH NOTES'
APRIL 1975.
TAYLOR, M.J. 'THOMAS WATTS, ARCHITECT', HISTORY RESEARCH ESSAY.
DEPARTMENT OF ARCHITECTURE, UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE 1971.
BUILDING, ENGINEERING & MINING JOURNAL 11, 18 APRIL 1891.
FREEMAN, R.D. 'SIR JOHN MARK DAVIES (1840-1919)' IN DOUGLAS PIKE (ED)
AUSTRALIAN DICTIONERY OF BIOGRAPHY, M.V.P. CARLTON 1972, PP29-31.

Report Produced  Thu Jul 24 14:36:26 2014