|List||Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)|
|Legal Status||Registered (21/03/1978)|
|Place File No||3/03/013/0010|
|Statement of Significance|
An early Church of England building made from local materials. The pews were constructed primarily by the parishioners from cedar. During Bishop Short's residence in Kensington, he and his family did much to further the establishment of the Church, Sunday school and choir.
(The Commission is in the process of developing and/or upgrading official statements for places listed prior to 1991. The above data was mainly provided by the nominator and has not yet been revised by the Commission.)
|Official Values Not Available|
|Building: Built on land granted by the South Australian Company. Consecrated in 1849. Building was discussed, 18 April 1848, by a meeting with the Lord Bishop of Adelaide at Kensington. Foundation stone laid by the Colonial Secretary Colonel A M Mundy on 22 May 1848. Original building and furniture cost 710 pounds eight shillings and sixpence. In February 1849 Miss Seton presented a font of white Sydney stone, by E Blackett, architect of St Andrew's Cathedral, Sydney.|
|History Not Available|
|Condition and Integrity Not Available|
|146 Kensington Road, south-eastern corner of Kensington Road and The Crescent, Marryatville.|
PHOTOGRAPH.COPY OF 'A CENTURY OF CHRISTIAN SERVICE' - ST MATHEWS.COPY |
OF EXTRACTS FROM 'THE REGISTER' 17 NOV 1923 PG.6.ONE HUNDRED YEAR'S
HISTORY OF KENSINGTON & NORWOOD BY MILDRED A.BLACKBURN.
Dalwitz, John and Marsden, Susan. 1985. Kensington and Norwood Heritage Survey. Stage 1 - General Report. Stage 2 - Item Identification Sheets. City of Kensington and Norwood. NEGP Report.
Report Produced Sun Dec 22 23:35:58 2013