|List||Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)|
|Legal Status||Registered (21/03/1978)|
|Place File No||1/06/312/0006|
|Statement of Significance|
Gundagai Courthouse is architecturally significant owing to its fine Classical styling.
Further, its symmetrical design with central double height court room reflects the general form of New South Wales courthouses built during a wide span of the nineteenth century.
(Criteria F.1 and D.2)
The building helps to show how courthouses were formerly designed and built so as to impress upon the community the power and stature of the law. (Criterion B.2)
Built originally in 1859-60 and subsequently extended, particularly in 1901-02, the building is an important link with a lengthy period of Gundagai's history and it has social significance for the community owing to its long association with the administration of justice in Gundagai and district. (Criteria A.4 and G.1)
The building has added importance due to it having been designed by two major New South Wales official architects, Alexander Dawson and Walter Liberty Vernon. (Criterion H.1)
With its prominent location and strong Classical styling the courthouse is a key element in Gundagai's main street possessing important aesthetic qualities. (Criterion E.1)
|Official Values Not Available|
|Gundagai's first courthouse was a simple affair built in about 1847. It was lost when in 1852 floods devastated the town. A new courthouse was erected in 1859-60 to the design of Colonial Architect, Alexander Dawson. This building was altered in around 1878 and then in 1901-02 substantial additions were constructed, designed by Government Architect, Walter Liberty Vernon. The building was damaged by fire in 1944 and subsequently repaired. Gundagai Courthouse occupies an elevated site above the main street and it has a dominating presence. The building expresses Classical styling and illustrates the way in which courthouses were formerly designed and built so as to reinforce the power of the law in the community. The courthouse is built of rendered brick and consists of a double height court room flanked symmetrically by single storey office wings; the building thus reflects the general form of courthouses built in New South Wales during a wide span of the nineteenth century. There is a Classical entrance portico with Doric columns and rusticated piers, surmounted by a balustraded parapet. Rising behind is a pediment with cornices, dentil courses and a central clockface. The portico has a pressed metal ceiling. The side wings each have a low, double pitched gabled hip roof, with a vent in the small gable end. Verandahs run across the front and return down the side of these wings and are supported by paired timber posts with brackets. The roof cladding is metal and was installed in the 1970s. Windows include twelve pane sashes, and round headed windows to the upper level of the court room. As mentioned above, the building stands above the street; a flight of stairs leads up to a brick wall beyond which two more flights rise to the level of the building on either side of a war memorial obelisk. An early timber outbuilding stands to the rear and there are newer toilet additions.|
|History Not Available|
|Condition and Integrity|
|At the time of nomination in the late 1970s, the courthouse was described as being in excellent condition. The roof had recently been reclad with metal decking. A new toilet block had been erected to the south-east and was in a style sympathetic to the courthouse. (December 1992)|
|Sheridan Street, corner Byron Street, Gundagai.|
Information from the New South Wales Public Works Department. |
Bridges, Peter, "Historic Court Houses of New South Wales", Sydney
Apperly, Richard et al, "A Pictorial Guide to Identifying Australian
Architecture", Sydney 1989.
Report Produced Tue Mar 11 05:39:55 2014