|List||Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)|
|Legal Status||Registered (21/03/1978)|
|Place File No||3/09/070/0008|
|Statement of Significance|
This anchor is a relic from an early American whaling vessel.
Americans were sealing around the waters of Kangaroo Island and South Australia well before South Australia was declared a colony and the first settlers arrived in 1836. The anchor was recovered from deep water, near the present wharf, in 1969. This plaque is a memorial to the crew of the American brig Union which was lost with all hands near Fiji in 1804.
In 1803 the crew of the Union built a vessel on Kangaroo Island which they called The Independence; this vessel sank, off the Antipodes, in 1806.
(The Commission is in the process of developing and/or upgrading official statements for places listed prior to 1991. The above data was mainly provided by the nominator and has not yet been revised by the Commission.)
|Official Values Not Available|
|The Memorial Plaque reads: 'In memory of the American brig Union and her crew who built the schooner Independence hereabouts in the year 1803.' Union was lost with all hands near Fiji in 1804. Independence met a similar fate at the Antipodes Islands in 1806. The Anchor was recovered from deep water near the present wharf in 1969. It is from an American whaling vessel of those early days.|
|History Not Available|
|Condition and Integrity Not Available|
|Tangara Drive American River, near Buicks Point Kangaroo Island.|
|Bibliography Not Available|
Report Produced Tue Dec 10 18:25:09 2013