|List||Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)|
|Legal Status||Indicative Place|
|Place File No||4/01/001/0368|
|Statement of Significance Not Available|
|Official Values Not Available|
Block 1, c 1925-28, is built of load bearing brick with a steel frame and reinforced concrete floors, and originally comprised six storeys. Floor plans were similar and consisted of one large ward surrounded on three sides by balconies.
Each ward was a self contained hospital and contained eighteen beds, a ward kitchen, dining room, nurses room, bathroom, toilets, sterilising room, surgical dressing room and stores.
The balconies were wide enough 'to provide ample sleeping space for patients requiring open air treatment.
Each floor was connected by a passenger lift which was accessed via a rear external open walkway. |
The building was second high rise building designed by the Department of Works. The first was the impressive eight story State Government Bank building at the corner of George and Queen Streets designed in 1911. This was a popular form for high rise buildings at the time, and is a form which is derivate of the three story Italian townhouse or palazzo. it is a style now classified as the Commercial Palazzo style.
Block 1 however was a radical departure from the bank building that employed Classical features and motifs. Instead it was in the modern style and was devoid of decoration. Its pilasters were of a classical form but they had no capitals, and the cornice on the top of the building was likewise unadorned. Such buildings were the forerunners of modern architecture and it is known today, and are now classified as being of the Stripped Classical style. This building was the first such high rise structure in Queensland and an early example in Australia.
Block 2, c 1930, was a continuation of the redevelopment of the hospital which had commenced with Block 1. Whereas Block 1 was constructed by day labour, Block 2 was put to public tender. The contract was awarded to W Taylor who had submitted a tender for 49,966 pounds. Block 2 was connected to Block 1 on each floor by an open walkway which was also used to access an additional isolated lift and stairwell. On the rear of the walkway were vertical linen shutes.
Although the general planning was similar, Block 2 differed from Block 1 in several aspects. It was similar in scale and massing, and stylistically, the base, and facade above, displayed the same stripped classicism. The upper portion however was more ornate, and contained classical elements including Ionic columns, console brackets, and curved rafters, in a manner typical of a classical Florentine Cornice. This was topped with red terra cotta cordova roofing tiles. The tiles combined with the limewashed ochre walls, had a slightly Spanish Mission influence which Conrad is credited with fostering in Queensland and which became a hallmark of his later work.
The internal finishes of Block 2 also differed from Block 1 with the departure from simple pallid colours traditionally sued. As the Brisbane Courier observed: The interior walls and ceilings have been painted and a colour scheme adopted, being creamy buff on the walls and Italian blue on the ceilings, together with grey/blue floor coverings of a special type of linoleum; the whole making a very pleasing colour combination and a great improvement on the white walls and ceilings hitherto prevailing.
Block 2 was designed with a flat roof with the possibility of it being used as an outdoor area by patients. However an additional floor was built on it in 1951 to provide Blood Bank and other units ancillary to the operating theatres which were immediately adjacent in Block 4. The wards were modernised in 1954 and Ward B was converted into a neurological ward in 1959. They were further modernised in 1976 and a burns unit installed in Ward 2C. In 1977 Ward 2A, the ground floor, was altered and extended for use by physiotherapy department.
Block 3, c 1938, in April 1930 the Board adopted the plans prepared by Conrad, Atkinson and Powell for the whole site and agreed to proceed immediately with this building. Construction however did not commence until 1936, and the building which was constructed by day labour, was not completed until 1938.
Structurally the building consists of load bearing external brick walls with a concrete encased steel frame internally. Lintels are reinforced concrete, and the whole exterior is rendered and painted. The floors were formed with Victor gypsum hollow floor blocks, so arranged to form structural concrete floor ribs covered with reinforced concrete. Stylistically Block 3 is similar to Block 2 and has the same division of its facade into a substantial ground story base, a more refined central portion of three storeys, and a distinctive top floor that combined Classical elements with a Spanish Mission terra cotta cordova pattern roof. This stylism combined elements in a way which was typical of the period and which now have been classified as the Commercial Palazzo style.
Discussions that Works architects had with Conrad and Powell in 1927 about the possibility of Block 2 being executed in concrete rather than brick, highlighted a principle that while all the blocks along Bowen Bridge Road should be matching there could be variation in materials as long as the last building at the corner of Herston Road was brick so as the symmetry of the original composition was maintained. While Conrad, Atkinson and Powell varied block 2 slightly in material and detail from Block 1, in Block 3 they took this variation further and varied the massing of the building by making it slightly wider and abolishing the verandahs. As a result it is a much more successful building than Block 2 and is a very interesting example of the Commercial Palazzo style applied to a hospital.
The ground floor administration area housed the general administration functions including the managers office, a large boardroom, and offices for the senior medical staff. Ample provision was also given to staff facilities. The top floor that housed the X-Ray equipment was a separate timber structure that was erected on the flat concrete roof.
Block 4, c1937, was a continuation of the major redevelopment of the hospital which had commenced with Block 1. The building was load bearing brick, with a steel frame and concrete floors and a terracotta tiled roof. The external walls were rendered and limewashed. Stylistically the building matched Block 3, but it had more Spanish mission features such as the semicircular openings to the top floor.
A balcony intended for use by the patients ran along the northern side of the building. After the construction of Block 4, the next blocks to be built were intended to join the western end of Block 4. The central passage of Block 4 was designed to function as a thoroughfare between Blocks 1, 2 and 3, and the future Blocks 6 and 7. Operating theatres were located on the sixth floor and an external balcony which ran the full length of the building outside the operating theatres, provided access for students.
The wards in Block 4 were occupied by both public and intermediate patients. In 1953 the first Professor of Medicine John Tyrer was appointed to the University of Queensland. As part of his duties, Tyrer was given responsibility of Ward 4C with more than seventy patients. In August 1955 the ward was handed over to the university as a complete teaching unit.
Block 10 was erected in 1916 to replace a smaller two storey outpatients building on the corner of Bowen Bridge Road and Herston Road. The firm of Hall and Dods, who had been responsible for the design of Lady Lamington Nurses home (1897 and the operating theatre (1914) were commissioned to design the new building. The building was a long rectangular structure that ran along Herston Road. It was constructed in red brick, with contrasting brick and white render quoins, and a terra cotta tile hip roof capped with two large domed fleches. This structure contained a large waiting hall which had a ceiling height of eight metres, and was top lit from large clerestory windows. On either side of the hall were examination and dressing rooms. These were covered with skillion roofs that were hidden by a brick parapets that carried decorative brick motifs in a diamond pattern.
In 1934 a large dispensary and toilet block was added to the south side of the building, and the entrance was relocated from Herston Road, to a new entrance which was added to the north-east corner of the building. In 1937, a records room was built as an open mezzanine over the eastern portion of the Waiting Hall, and adjacent, the main hipped roof was extended to form a T-shape. The attic space thus created was fitted with semicircular dormers and used for record storage and to house a telephone exchange. The continuing increase in patients numbers necessitated additions and in 1956 portion of the examination rooms were enlarged by an extension which occupied the space between the old front entrance pathway and the 1934 dispensary. Like the dispensary the extension was built to the alignment of Herston Road.
The outpatients department moved to Block 7 in 1977. The 1947 examination rooms fronting Herston Road were occupied by the Post Office and the Commonwealth Bank. In 1979 the remainder of the building was extensively modified and used to accommodate physical sciences department, dietitians, revenue control, and a section of QRI. The modification included the insertion of an upper floor over the old Waiting Hall and the demolition of the 1937 mezzanine floor. The area created was divided into offices with a central passage. On the ground floor the Waiting Hall was partitioned and subdivided for electronic workshops. The whole of the ground floor was modernised and fitted with a suspended ceiling. The dispensary building was demolished to make way for the construction of Block 9 which was completed in 1984.
Edwin Tooth Lecture Theatre, c 1957, was the result of a benefaction of Mr Edwin Tooth. The building was designed by Elmar Krams, a Latvian born architect who worked for the firm of Ford, Hutton and Newell for several years.
This building consists of a tiered lecture theatre whose curved brick rear wall follows more or less the shape of the adjoining road that forms one of the boundaries of the site. This wall is a feature of the building and is supported on flared concrete columns. It is punctured near its top with a row of distinctive hooded vents formed in concrete. The building is covered with a curved copper roof which forms the shape of the ceiling inside the theatre. Under the tiered section, are two levels of laboratories intended for medical research. These are seen on the external elevation as glazed elements between the shafts of the flared concrete columns. A smaller single storey brick addition to the side contains the entrance foyer and areas for toilets and storage. This addition has a flat copper roof. The tiered lecture theatre contains seven rows of seating and is lit by highlight windows that follow the shape of the curved roof and by artificial lighting.
This building is typical of many post war functional designs that use materials and forms in an innovative manner. The circular form of the rear wall of the lecture theatre which is a result of the shape of the road, is happy coincidence of determinism and function. It has been in continuous use as a lecture theatre since it was constructed and has been the main lecture for medical students on the Herston complex.
The Grounds and Landscaping:
The Herston site contains a wide range of landscaping elements. The distinctive features of the grounds include the planting of: large flowering trees, in particular, the POINCIANA and JACARANDA; the palms, both formally, as once existed in the old Infectious Diseases Ward, and informally as remains evident today; large shade trees such as ficus and camphor laurel; pines, the hoop pine, bunya pine, callitris and kauri pine.
The topography has been a major influence on how the site has been landscaped. The steepness of much of the site has resulted in generally modest modification of the grounds. On the other hand, it has required terracing and stone retaining walls for major buildings and roads.
The use of porphyry, obtained from quarries on the site, is another major element of the landscaping. Porphyry walls to the roads and building terraces, dressed and freestone are evident throughout the site. Porphyry is also used extensively for edging to flower beds. Other general features of the landscaping include the formal, stone edged flower beds the planting of Acalypha hedges (probably during the 1950s) through the grounds.
The grounds along Bowen Bridge Road frontage of the Womens Hospital substantially changed in the early 1950s with the construction of the Lady Ramsay wing and the construction of the dressed porphyry wall along the boundary down the hillside to Butterfield Street.
Significant Landscape elements of this precinct are: Forecourt, the circular drive and centre island with the statue of E M Hanlon on a rectangular plinth set in lawn are substantially intact; four poincians were established along the drive and a large circular flower bed in the lawn near the street. Specimen shrubs were spaced along the drive; flower bed, the porphyry edged bed retains much of its original form and planting character with the narrow path through the centre and the planting of roses with annuals in the lower third of one half; Lady Ramsay Wing lawn terrace and tennis court area, the lawn terracing, the tennis court and rectangular stone edged beds remain intact. The flower beds were built later than the circular bed, when the tennis court was installed, yet their style and construction match closely the older bed.
Wardsmen's Building was erected in 1875 as a fever hospital and provided accommodation for twenty five patients. It contained a single open ward approximately 8.2m x 21m, surrounded by timber verandas. A pedimented entrance faced O'Connell Terrace. As other wards were built on the site to cater for fever cases and infectious diseases, the building was used for other purposed. In 1890 Ward 6 became a gynaecological ward with twenty beds. With the adjacent Wards 5 and 7 being used as medical and surgical wards for female patients, this part of the site formed the focus of female care in the hospital. Open air pavilions for females were later constructed nearby.
In 1935, approximately one third of the southern portion of the building was demolished to allow for the construction of Block 4. Further alterations were made in the mid 1960s when the construction of the Clinical Sciences Building necessitated the narrowing of the western verandah by 600mm. The building presently is used as an amenities building for wardpersons.
Child Care Centre Building was constructed in 1885 and was known as Ward 7. A similar building, Ward 5, was constructed nearby at the same time but was demolished in 1928 after the construction of Block 1. Wards 7 and 5 were built to accommodate female patients.
The building is brick with a porphyry stone base which was quarried within the hospital grounds. The building was surrounded by verandahs and capped with a galvanised iron hipped roof. The roof is capped with two large ventilators and a central flue.
When the adjacent Ward 6 was converted into a gynaecological ward in 1890, these buildings became the focus of female care. In the 1930s the building accommodated a clinic for the treatment of poliomyelitis under the direction of Elizabeth Kenny. Kenny began treating poliomyelitis during the 1910s while working as a nurse on the Darling Downs. In 1932 Kenny established a clinic in Townsville and achieved considerable success. She rejected the accepted practice of passive treatment in favour of active movements of affected limbs. Despite fierce opposition from some medical practitioners, Kenny gained the favour of Home Secretary Hanlon who assisted her in establishing clinics in Townsville, Cairns, Rockhampton, Toowoomba and Brisbane. Her first Brisbane clinic was opened in George Street in 1935 for the treatment of outpatients and in 1939 Ward 7 became her centre for treating inpatients.
Boiler House, c 1935:
The construction of a new boiler house was part of the plans for redevelopment of the site in the 1920s. In 1925 the Hospital Board approached the Brisbane City Council for permission to erect service buildings including a boiler house and a laundry on the eastern end of the Wattlebrae site.
The building was built in 1935 and it replaced an earlier boiler house sited near the present position of Block 4. The new structure was a large factory like brick building with gable ends. It had a clear span of 15m and a large internal space with a height from the floor to the underside of the steel roof trusses of 9m. Large semi circular casement windows were prominent on the exterior. The gable roof was capped with iron sheeting and a ridge vent. At the rear of the building on the northern end overlooking the laundry was a three story workshop. This was brick but had a flat roof.
Provision was made for four boilers but only two were installed initially. They were fed by coal hoppers on the western side. A flue ran along the eastern wall and fed two medium chimney stacks. In early 1950 these were demolished and replaced with a single high brick chimney. A third Babcock and Wilcox boiler was installed in 1953, and new high level coal hoppers were constructed which were fed by a conveyer belt.
Ward 15 was erected in 1918 to accommodate patients with mild psychiatric problems and was initially known as Ward 14. It was designed by the Department of Works on the advice of the H B Ellerton, the Inspector of Hospitals for the Insane. The building consisted of a central entrance and admission area, with accommodation for female and male patients in two separate wings. The wings were divided into cells.
The building is residential in scale in keeping with much of Arts and Crafts movement which this building derives much of its architectural style. The domestic scale was influenced by Dr Ellerton, the Inspector of Hospitals for the Insane, who initiated the move away from large dormitory type buildings at the mental hospitals under his control. Typical of the style, the roof and gables are dominant elements. The high pitched roof is covered with terracotta tiles, and has three large elaborate fleches which would appear to be fitted with Boyles ventilators. The two large gables on the outer wings of the building which are decorated with circular motifs, are matched by a smaller central gable which features an archway.
A 1930 photograph shows the verandahs enclosed with timber battens in a square pattern typical of Queensland vernacular architecture. Whether this was an original feature or a later adaptation is unknown, but it is an innovative yet practical and aesthetically pleasing way of providing security. Typical also of this style of domestic architecture, the garden was an important element, and the 1930 photograph also shows the area in front of the building landscape with grass and planted with trees.
To more adequately cater for acute alcoholics and prisoners requiring medical treatment, a brick structure with ten locked cells was constructed in the late 1948 at the rear of the existing building. This rear wing was called Ward 14 and the front portion became known as Ward 16.
During the 1950s both wards were severely overcrowded. In 1958 the former infectious diseases block (1930) was converted into a psychiatric unit in 1958 and renamed Lowson House. Alterations and renovations were undertaken in 1966 to allow medical patients from Ward 15 to be relocated in the building. As a result of the transfer of these patients, the building was renamed Ward 15.
Women's Hospital, c 1934-38, was designed by Conrad, Atkinson and Powell. The building was completed in 1938 at a cost of 200,000 pounds and was constructed of load bearing brick with reinforced concrete floor slabs which were formed using gypsum hollow floor blocks.
The design of the building incorporated many aspects of hospital design that Conrad had experienced on his recent trip to America in 1928. The basement contained service areas, while the ground floor was the main entrance to the hospital and contained areas for the admission of mothers, an outpatients area, administration areas, staff facilities and a kitchen that serviced the whole building. The first, second, third and fourth floors contained wards for mothers and nursery facilities. The lower two wards were for public patients while the upper two floors were intended for private patients. The fourth floor also contained an operating theatre, while the fifth floor provided accommodation for medical staff and senior nursing staff.
The public ward configurations mimicked those in Block 3, and patients were arranged in cubicles of four beds on either side of a central passage, with beds parallel to the external walls. The 'Greek cross' configuration of the wards was largely a result of climatic considerations, but it had the added advantage of concentrating service activities at the crossings at each floor. Here the building was expanded on three sides to form an incomplete octagon shape, which housed two lifts, the main stairway, and nurses command station.
The exterior was relatively plain except at the main entrance which comprised the octagon shape was emphasised by double height pilasters with Egyptian capitals and a classical entablature. The lower two floors were given emphasis as a base by a rendered projecting cornice at the top of the second floor.
The roof which was terra cotta tiles, was emphasised at the eaves by shaped rafters that match those used in Blocks 2 and 3, and the roof of the octagonal central portion of the building was further emphasised by a detached tiled roof topped with a large distinctive octagonal fleche. This fleche matched one shown in the architect's master plan proposals for a future building which was to face Herston Road in the General Hospital.
The building differed in style to the slender tower blocks facing Bowen Bridge Road. As well as the different form, clearly distinguished the Women's Hospital as a separate entity to the General Hospital. The south west wing of the building which was left incomplete at the time of the construction of the original building was completed in 1947. It matched the original building and provided much needed ward accommodation.
Laundry was erected in 1926 and designed by the Department of Works. The building was constructed as a single storeyed building but later extended. The roof which is corrugated galvanised iron, is multi gabled, with clerestories on each gable to provide maximum light to the interior. The structure is brick, with brick piers internally and exposed timber trusses. The floor is timber. The original layout is unknown but the 1952 Annual Report mentions that alteration to the laundry will provide on the ground floor additional space for laundry machinery and will permit rearrangement of some of the ironing, drying, and mending sections of the laundry. The basement on the eastern side of the building was used for staff facilities.
|History Not Available|
|Condition and Integrity|
Block 1 would appear to be in good condition but has been subjected to numerous changes both externally and internally.
The balconies were enclosed with louvres over a number of years commencing in 1934.
In 1945 a timber framed fibro sheeted roof was constructed over the flat roof which was leaking.
In 1967 this was demolished and an extra floor was added to provide change rooms for nursing and domestic staff.
The new extension was built of brick and concrete and replicated the top floor of the original building.
This roof top extension destroys some of the original cornice composition which was typical of the Commercial Palazzo style. |
The wards have been upgraded on several occasions and the top floor was converted to accommodate extra operating theatre in 1988. The ground floor accommodation has been extended along Bowen Bridge Road by an inappropriate brick addition, and in 1984, similarly inappropriate fire escape walkways were built connecting each floor with Block 2. While the roof top extension, the glazing in of the verandahs, the walkways and the brick additions reduces some of the integrity of the facades, the building still retains most of its original Stripped Classical stylistic features and is an imposing structure at the Bowen Bridge entrance to the hospital.
Block 2 would appear to be in good condition. The verandahs have been enclosed, and the terra cotta roof has been replaced with metal sheeting. The roof is still used by the Blood Bank although the area has been renovated. The wards have been renovated many times and there would appear to be little remains of the original finishes, although Wards F and C are more or less in their original plan form. The facade is more or less intact except for inappropriate extensions to the ground floor, and similarly inappropriate fire escape walkways that connect each floor with Blocks 1 and 2.
Block 3 would appear to be in good condition. The wards have been in continuous use since construction. The ground floor administration area has been altered considerably and converted to an admission ward with a single storey brick extension at the Bowen Bridge entrance. The remaining wards are more or less as they were constructed. individual ward layout have been altered slightly by the introduction of a nurses station near the entrance, and by a small increase in the service areas. The six beds displaced as part of this rearrangement have been relocated in the solarium which is now used for general ward accommodation. As part of a general upgrade the timber and glass partitions that divide the wards into six areas have been replaced or resurfaced, but they remain in the same position as they were originally. Internal fittings and some services have been modernised or upgraded but some original ones remain.
Externally the building has been altered at the entrance on the ground by an extension for hospital admissions. While this is intrusive and detracts from the original style of the building as does the connecting fire escape walkways to Block 2, the remainder of the building is intact with the exception of the original windows and solarium louvres, which have been replaced with aluminium windows. The building has been painted white where as photographic evidence would suggest that it was more an ochre colour.
Block 4 is in good condition and is still used as hospital wards. The top floor still contains operating theatres, which have been refurbished but whose plan forms are more or less as they were constructed. The outdoor balcony access for students has been clocked off and the large south window glazing replaced. Individual floors have been renovated some more than others. Levels C, E and F are more or less in their original plan form and contain many features of the original building. The ground floor lecture theatre has been demolished and the area converted to staff facilities for wardsmen.
Block 10 is still used for a variety of hospital functions, and by the Commonwealth Bank and Post Office. The 1979 work to the interior has concealed or destroyed much of the original fabric of the building. The construction of the upper floor in the old Waiting Hall, has made it impossible to experience the space of this room which must have been impressive, and overall the work has reduced considerably an understanding of how the building functioned as an outpatients department. It is possible however to see some items of original joinery including the large exposed beams supported on timber console brackets which made up the ceiling of the original building, and numerous doors, architraves and windows.
Externally the building is more or less as it was after the last extension in 1956. The Architects Atkinson, Conrad and Powell were careful to match the original design in form and material, when later extending and altering the building. These extensions do not detract from the aesthetics of the original building. Individual elements such as the awning above the outpatients entry on the north west corner of the building are missing. The terra cotta roof has been replaced with zincalume corrugated iron, and the original fleches have been replaced with simpler vents. The main gate piers which matched the building and impressively guarded the main entrance to the hospital, have been demolished. One gate pier to the original entrance to the building in Herston Road remains, as does much of the original picket fence which in part, is in poor condition. An inappropriate aluminium clad newspaper stand sits on the Herston Road alignment in front of the building.
Edwin Tooth Lecture Theatre exterior is showing some weathering on the brick walls from water run off, but overall the building would appear to be in good condition. The interior is reasonably intact although acoustic panels have been added to the rear curved wall which originally was exposed brickwork. Strip fluorescent fluorescent lighting has been added to supplement the original down lights.
Wardsmen's Building integrity has been lost by the truncation of one third of the building in 1935. In addition the verandahs on the west side has been altered, and it together with the east side verandah, have been enclosed. The front steps have been demolished but the connecting link with the adjoining child minding centre remains. The roof is sheeted with galvanised iron as it was originally, but the original roof vent has been raised by about 600mm and made into a clerestory.
Internally the building has been adapted for use by the wardsmen including the construction of a suspended plasterboard ceiling. Above this ceiling the original queen post trusses remain intact as does the original timber ceiling. Truss members are stop chamfered. The building would appear to be in reasonable condition.
Child Care Centre internally is more or less as it was when used as a ward. The internal partitions constructed for the child minding facilities, are low height, and do not interfere with the original tongue and grooved ceiling. A central ridge light, the operation of which is unknown, but which is evident internally has been covered over by the galvanised iron roof. The fleches and flue on the ridge are intact and would appear to be in good condition. The verandahs have been removed, as has the portion of the building which projected to the west, and which was demolished to make way for the clinical sciences building. A makeshift skillion roof has been constructed on the northern elevation. This covers a timber deck which has been built to replace the original verandah.
The grounds in front of the building facing Herston Road, have been landscaped recently and possibly little remains of the original planting that may have surrounded this building. However the palm trees, obvious in a 1940 photograph, remain. The building including the stone base would appear to be in good condition.
The palms planted in a line along the east side are an integral part of the building's significance.
Boiler House building is largely intact. It has been extended on the southern side by a single storey flat roofed addition that housed an incinerator which is no longer used. The addition is somewhat incongruous with the original structure and is moderately intrusive. The three boilers and the boiler room are intact, as is the workshops of the northern elevations.
Ward 15 building currently houses offices. Externally the building is in its original condition except that the front gables have been unfortunately removed and infilled with fibrous cement sheeting, and the battens which enclosed the front verandah have been removed and replaced with glass and metal louvres. Otherwise the building including the tiled roof with its fleches is more or less as it was when constructed.
Women's Hospital building would appear to be in good condition. It has been in continuous use as a Women's Hospital since it was built, although it has been modified and remodelled on many occasions, and is at present being renovated in part. The overall form of the hospital however including the entrance has been retained, and many of the original ward layouts remain although much of the original fabric has gone.
The external elevations are intact except that some windows have been replaced, and an extra floor was built on the roofs in 1960 to provide additional accommodation. The first mention of using the roof area to build accommodation was in 1945 when consideration was given to building facilities for nurses but did not eventuate. The government architect E J A Weller however who was responsible for the sketch plans of the proposed additions, stated it was necessary to keep them low to retain the integrity of the existing roof line. His advice was not heeded when the 1960 extensions were built, and the resultant structures with their relatively high fibrous cement sheeted walls are incongruous with the original building and intrusive. The original circular driveway and gardens are substantially intact.
Laundry building was extended in 1952 by the addition of an extra story on the western bay to house a linen receiving and sorting room, and an extension on the eastern side for staff facilities. The western extension which included a upper level loading dock, and the eastern extension, match the original building in style and detail, and are almost indistinguishable from the original.
Little else has changed externally except that there has been some minor extensions to the northern or rear elevation of the building to house equipment. This work has involved the demolition of three chimneys that were on this elevation.
In addition the rib and pan galvanised iron roof has been replaced with corrugated galvanised iron, some doors have been replaced with roller shutters, and timber casement windows have been replaced with clear glass louvres. The external colour scheme is ochre with green trim, and a laundry sign with hand direction, is painted on the south-eastern corner of the building. The colour scheme is most probably original as is the design of the sign which has been recently repainted.
The building is still used as a laundry. The interior layout has been adapted to accommodate functional changes and new equipment, however no major changes appear to have been made to the building fabric. It is more of less one large space with exposed timber trusses supported on brick piers. The upper level constructed in 1952 is still used as a sorting room, and the basement is still used for staff facilities.
|Approximately 11ha, Herston Road, Bowen Bridge Road, Butterfield Street and Bramston Terrace, Herston, comprising: Blocks 1, 2, 3 and 4; Block 10; the Edwin Tooth lecture theatre; wardsmen's amenities building; child care centre; boiler house; laundry; and the Women's Hospital.|
|Herston Hospitals Complex Conservation Plan (1994). Qld Department of Health, Brisbane.|
Report Produced Sun Apr 20 09:38:59 2014