|List||Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)|
|Legal Status||Indicative Place|
|Place File No||4/01/001/0370|
|Statement of Significance Not Available|
|Official Values Not Available|
Nurse Education Centre was constructed as the Wattlebrae infectious diseases building by the Brisbane City Council in 1930. It was sited on land owned by the Council and separated from the hospital grounds by O'Connell Terrace which terminated at O'Connell Town Quarry a short distance to the south.
It was designed by the City architect R H Foster, and is a load bearing brick and steel structure with reinforced concrete floors. Although the building is not as high as Block 1, it matched it in style, and is similarly devoid of decoration. |
As a infectious disease building, it replaced the earlier timber structure (No 35), and was part of a complex that included the open air isolation wards (Nos 40,41,43).
Before the building was completed the building was described in the Brisbane Courier: The ward block will be fireproof throughout, and will consist of five storeys at the front and four at the rear, and will provide accommodation for 100 patients. it will be equipped with modern appliances and fittings necessary for an infectious disease hospital including an electric lift of most improved design and glass lined metal chutes for conveying soiled and infected linen from each floor to the bins for dispatch to the laundry. In addition to a large ward, there are on each floor, five small wards for the isolation of patients requiring special observation. On the ground floor is provided an operating room with sterilising appliances, the latter being also provided on each of the other floors.
When a new infectious diseases ward (No 39) was completed in 1953, the building was then used for the treatment of general hospital cases to relieve some of the overcrowding in the general wards.
The building was remodelled and converted to psychiatric services in 1958 with accommodation for sixty six patients and also facilities for outpatients. The building was renamed Lowson House in honour of Dr Lowson who was the first practising psychiatrist in Brisbane.
A new building comprising an outpatients section, dining room, occupational therapy and day hospital ward was opened in May 1964. Four floors in the existing building were then subsequently renovated. The top floor was converted for use as a recreation area. The new block and extensions were officially opened by the Minister for Health S D Tooth on 31 March 1965. More recently it has been converted to its existing education use and has been extensively modified and extended.
Fire and Security Offices was constructed in 1911 by the Metropolitan Joint Board for Infectious Diseases who were vested with the care of the infectious in the community. The structure is of a residential scale, and is timber framed building sheeted with weatherboards externally, and lined with vertical jointed boarding internally. It is situated on a fork in the O'Connell Terrace and is surrounded on the south and west sides by that road, and on the northern side by the road which led to the entrance to the Wattlebrae Infectious Hospital. The building is two storey on the northern elevation but single storey on the southern elevation as a result of the rise in O'Connell Terrace.
The building was designed by Robin Dods of the architectural firm of Hall and Dods. It displays Dods' considerable design ability and is in the Arts and Crafts tradition. The building when constructed was very picturesque and had dark oil stained weatherboards with white window trim and a galvanised iron roof.
It is thought to have been used for offices associated with Wattlebrae Infectious Hospital and perhaps was also used for nurses accommodation. After the construction of the new Wattlebrae Hospital in the 1930s, the use of the building is unclear. It is understood that it was once used as a kitchen.
Engineers' Building was constructed in 1930 at the same time as the new Wattlebrae Hospital block, and many of its details match that building. It is a two storey brick building with a basement at the rear. The front facade is dominated by double height brick piers with semi circular arches that support the concrete verandah floor at the first floor level. It was intended as an administration block for the infectious diseases hospital.
The building was described in the Brisbane Courier prior to completion in July 1929. The administrative block will consist of a basement and two other storeys. On the ground floor there will be admission and discharge halls, doctors' rooms, locker room for patients' disinfected clothes, and dressing and bathrooms. On the upper floor there will be provided accommodation for nurses. In this building provision has also been made for the interviewing of patients by relatives and friends under conditions eliminating risk of infection.
|History Not Available|
|Condition and Integrity|
Nurse Education Centre building would appear to be in reasonable condition but has been extensively modified and extended on several occasions. The most recent of these was the 1985 conversion for nurses education facilities.
This work involved additions to western side of the building, renovation to individual floors, and the erection of an additional floor on the flat roof of the original building.
This addition to the roof and other alterations has considerably altered the appearance of the building. |
The building internally has been altered, although the building form and some original features remain. The most intact area is level three which is used as a simulated ward for teaching purposes and retains its pavilion plan layout. The top floor is now used as a recreation room, and level four is used for computer services. Levels two and one are used as lecture rooms, theatrette, offices and a library.
Fire and Security Offices building which is now used as offices, would appear to be in reasonable condition although the verandahs are in need of repair. It is understood there has been some termite damage but the extent of this damage is thought to be minimal. The exterior is remarkably intact although the dark oil stained boards have been painted white and the building has lost some of the picturesque qualities which is obvious in early photographs. Nevertheless it still retains its considerable massing and streetscape value. The interior has been adapted for use as offices but much original fabric remains including most of the original timber partitions. Landscaping around the building appears to be of relatively recent origin.
Engineers' Building would appear to be in good condition. It is now used as offices. The interior is mostly intact and features the original central hall and staircase. Some verandahs have been enclosed.
|30 Bowen Bridge Road, Herston, Part of Brisbane General Hospital, comprising the former Infectious Diseases Ward now the Nurse Education Centre; the former Infectious Diseases Hospital Administration building now the Fire and Security offices; the former Wattlebrae Administration building now the Engineers building; and the former Open Air Pavilions now workshops and storage; covered walkways connecting these buildings.|
|Herston Hospitals Complex Conservation Plan (1994). Qld Department of Health, Brisbane.|
Report Produced Fri Dec 20 07:51:14 2013