|List||Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)|
|Legal Status||Registered (24/06/1997)|
|Place File No||4/01/001/0280|
|Statement of Significance|
Rosalie Kindergarten demonstrates the original quite distinct function and design of one of a few known purpose built pre World War Two kindergartens remaining in the State.
It was heralded at the time of construction as the best designed in Australia, featuring a Caretakers Residence on the upper floor, separate play areas, undercroft area protection and large teaching areas which could be subdivided by accordion doors, all of which were considered innovative at the time (Criterion B.2).
Rosalie Kindergarten is significant as a building designed in the Georgian revival style of architecture with some evidence of the traditional Queensland timber Bungalow form in the rear wing. It displays characteristics typical of this idiom such as the general symmetry and pavilion layout of the building, projecting entry porch in the main wing, hipped main roof form, and double hung sashes (Criterion D.2).
|Official Values Not Available|
The kindergarten is divided into public, private and service
zones. It consists of a two storey portion to Elizabeth Street which originally
housed the caretaker's residence on the upper level, now converted to staff and
committee rooms. The entry area and service zones are situated to the south
facing Elizabeth Street. These zones are divided from the main teaching and
play spaces by a waiting area which allows the mothers to observe the children
unnoticed. The teaching area is large, capable of being subdivided into two
zones by accordion doors. It was considered quite innovative at the time. A
verandah flanks two sides of the playrooms, facing the favourable north-east
aspect. The roof is slightly bellcast over the verandahs. Stairs from the
verandah leads to an undercover play area for use by the children during
inclement weather. The subtleties in the plan are reflected in the high pitched
roofs which form a picturesque composition of great complexity. The two storey
portion with the caretaker's residence is quite similar to the Lady Goodwin
Creche yet the detail is more refined and shows a very competent craftsman at
work. The entry porch, of two storeys, is well proportioned and detailed. The
intimate scale of the first floor is increased on the second floor by a
cantilever. The timbers are larger in section yet apt in scale. The
balustrading pattern is identical to a house designed by Arnold E Brooks for
the Ideal Home Competition in 1918. The windows are characteristic Georgian
detail, using patterned frosted glass for additional privacy. Construction is
of timber on brick piers. The external walls are sheeted with hardwood
weatherboards, mitred ends and slightly bellcast at the ground floor structure.
Internal walls are lined with vertical jointed boarding to the dado line, with
fibre cement sheeting above. Ceilings are sheeted with fibre cement with cover
strips. The roof is tiled and the eaves are boarded on the rake. Brooks was
articled to Oakden, Addison and Kemp from 1888-92 and was employed by the
Telegraph from 1901-08. From 1908 he assisted J P O Cowlishaw and became a
Deputy Instructor in Building Construction at the BCTC from 1909. In 1910 he
was employed in the office of Hall and Dods and won the competition for the
Hotel Canberra (now demolished) in the same year. From 1912 he was the office
manager of this firm until 1922 when he established his own practice. The
Rosalie Kindergarten is an important example of the work of Brooks. |
The infant welfare movement is thought to have started in
Australia in 1903, seeking to improve conditions for infants and instruct
mothers on proper child rearing. The earliest childcare building in Brisbane
(and possibly the State) was the Paddington Kindergarten (c 1916) which is
still operating in Charlotte Street. The Paddington, or Ithaca, Complex was
evocative of the new Edwardian era emphasis on health, fitness and fresh air
which swept the world. It was built prior to the State 1922 Maternity Act which
aimed to further improve heath care for mothers and children and produce a
healthy and virile population closely linked to the economic development of the
State. This resulted in a network of free maternity hospitals and baby clinics
from c 1923. Its construction was halted by the Depression (c 1929) with only a
few being built between 1932 and 1940. In 1935 a triangular site on the corner
of Nash and Elizabeth Streets was purchased for the construction of a
kindergarten, the principal part of the cost defrayed by the State Government.
The official opening took place in October 1935. |
|Condition and Integrity|
|1988: The building is in good condition. The exterior of the building is reasonably intact. The kindergarten was not inspected internally, however the original caretaker's residence has been converted to offices and committee rooms (assessed in 1988).|
|57 Elizabeth Street, corner Nash Street, Rosalie.|
Apperley, R., Irving, R., Reynolds, P.,(1989). A Pictorial Guide to |
Identifying Australia Architecture: Styles and Terms from 1788 to the
Present. Angus and Robertson, North Ryde.
Australian Building Journal of Queensland (ABJQ), 11 March, 1935.
ABJQ, 10 April, 1935.
Coutts, J.V.D.,(Ed.). The Architectural and Building Journal of
Queensland Ltd. Gordon and Gotch, 1922-1940. Brisbane.
Gee, S.A.,(1987). Diligence and Good Conduct With Sound Ability. The
Life and Work of Arnold Edwin Brooks FRAIA 1872-1958. B Arch,
University of Queensland.
Kennedy, M.,(1989). Domestic Architecture in Queensland Between the
Wars (Master of Built Environment Degree Graduate Report). University
of New South Wales.
Watson, D., McKay, J.A.,(1984). A Directory of Queensland Architects
to 1940. University of Queensland Library, St Lucia.
Fazldeen, A. 1998. Rosalie Kindergarten - repairs to Foundations. NEGP Report.
Report Produced Sat Jul 26 18:07:49 2014