|List||Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)|
|Legal Status||Registered (28/05/1996)|
|Place File No||4/01/001/0317|
|Statement of Significance|
|One of few surviving buildings designed as rooms for medical specialists in Wickham Terrace and still used for this purpose (Criterion A.4). It is a good example of the work of the architect Lange L Powell who designed other prominent buildings in Brisbane, including the National Australia Bank and the Masonic Temple (Criterion H.1). Ballow Chambers is a finely proportioned and detailed commercial building in the Interwar Georgian Revival style (Criterion D.2).|
|Official Values Not Available|
|In former times Ballow Chambers was one of a group of buildings which formed a 1920s and earlier streetscape. Besides Ballow Chambers, the only buildings of the period still standing in the street are Incholm and Brisbane Clinic, built in the 1920s as medical rooms for the specialists who congregated on Wickham Terrace. All are built in the Georgian Revival style with similar materials and detailing. Wickham House, 155-157 Wickham Terrace is recognised as an Interwar Commercial Palazzo style building, along with a Dods designed house now coverted to a restaurant, are also part of the streetscape. The unity of scale and the original character of the Wickham Terrace streetscape has been diminished by the more recent intrusion of medium to high rise commercial buildings and a car parking builiding. Ballow Chambers was completed in two stages, with two storeys being completed in 1924. Ballow Chambers has characteristics of the Interwar Georgian Revival style with Classical elements. Its Georgian character is expressed in the symmetry and proportions of the building and in the detailing, such as small paned windows and transoms, brick lintels, quoins, and string course. The entrance is classically derived forming an arcade and balustraded balcony above. The parapet is also outlined with a balustrade. The building is finished in face brick in Flemish bond pattern and stucco dressings. The name Ballow Chambers is applied to the building. The windows on the side elevation have sun shades supported on large brackets and at the back of the building the windows are shaded with hoods. Internally some of the original joinery such as the staircase remains intact. The building was designed by the architect, Lange L Powell (1884-1938), whose other Brisbane work includes the impressive National Australia Bank, the Holy Trinity Church, and the Masonic Temple. Powell subsequently became a partner in the firm of Atkinson, Powell and Conrad, which designed Brisbane Boys' College. Externally the building has not been altered except for the main entry floor which has been retiled, the rear entry door which has been replaced with a modern full glass door, and the location of packaged air conditioning units in window openings. Internally, the Interwar Georgian Revival style of architecture is evident in the stairways and passageways although many of the orginal panelled doors leading from the passage to the doctor's rooms have been replaced with modern full glass timber and aluminium doors. The majority of the internal spaces used by the doctors as consulting rooms have been considerable altered since the construction of the building. The original timber panelled partitions with glass multipaned lights over, generally have been replacced with a proliferation of timber framed and metal studded partitions sheeted with plaster board timber plywood panelling and numerous other modern materials. Various designs of new suspended ceilings are evident with recessed or suspended fluorescent lights. Original joinery, furnishings, carpets, and sanitary fittings have been replaced with modern equivalents.|
|History Not Available|
|Condition and Integrity|
|The building is in reasonably good condition. The exterior of the building is reasonably intact. Changes to the orginal building are stated in the description. Internally the building retains its original form, although many of the individual doctors rooms have been modernised. The architect's design concept for the doctors' interior spaces has been irreversibly damaged over many years. (Assessed in 1988 and reassessed in 1992 by B Veal)|
|121 Wickham Terrace, Spring Hill.|
'ABJQ', 7 AUGUST 1924. |
'ABJQ', 7 OCTOBER 1924.
'ABJQ', 10 AUGUST 1926.
WATSON, D. AND MCKAY, J., A DIRECTORY OF QUEENSLAND ARCHITECTS TO 1940
UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND, 1984.
Report Produced Tue Dec 10 08:26:54 2013