|List||Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)|
|Legal Status||Registered (21/03/1978)|
|Place File No||4/01/001/0047|
|Statement of Significance|
Shafston House is of considerable architectural significance as a fine example of a late nineteenth century Gothic Revival house, as evidence of the work of two important Queensland architects (Stanley and Dods) and particularly as a rare example of Stanley's domestic architecture.
The house and gardens are significant as the substantially intact evidence of a residence from this period, and importantly Shafston House retains its setting on the Brisbane River. The house makes a significant contribution to the townscape of this part of Brisbane.
The former ward block (1919) is of some interest for its references to the Queensland light timber framing tradition, and for its careful design and siting in relation to the original buildings. Shafston House is of historic interest for its association with the early history and development of Brisbane, and for its later role as the Anzac Hostel.
|Official Values Not Available|
Shafston House is a prominent Gothic Revival style house located on the banks of the Brisbane River. The original house dates from 1883 and is the work of the important architect F D G Stanley. This house replaces another of 1851 and it is suspected that some materials have been reused in the existing building. |
The house was designed in the Gothic Revival style reflecting the popular taste of Victorian England. The high pitched roof is punctuated by tall paired chimney pots. The window openings are small, and the tall gables are decorated with fancy fretwork bargeboards. The building is decorated at ground floor level by projecting bays and verandahs with cast iron columns and balustrades. The main house is backed by its kitchen block which is in a similar architectural style. The house retains much of its original curtilage and features some of the Victorian garden which surrounded the house and sloped towards the Brisbane River in a series of grassed terraces.
In 1904 the architect R S Dods was engaged to undertake alterations to the house. This work consisted of elaborate timberwork in the entrance hall and main rooms. In 1919 the house was taken over by the Commonwealth for the Anzac Hostel, used for the repatriation of returned servicemen. Some parts of the property where subsequently subdivided and sold leaving the property as it now stands.
The original stable block was subsequently demolished. Ward accommodation was constructed in the grounds during 1919, and several other minor buildings were also constructed at this time. The ward block is a simple timber structure which has design references to the Queensland light timber building tradition. The siting of the building reflects a sensitivity to the existing house and its frontage to the river.
|History Not Available|
|Condition and Integrity|
|The house, kitchen block, 1919 ward block and remaining grounds are generally in good condition. Conservation work on the house and kitchen in the mid 1980s has been particularly succesful in manifesting the architectural qualities of the buildings. The group is generally intact.|
|23 Castlebar Street and Thorn Street, Kangaroo Point.|
BUILDINGS OF QUEENSLAND - ROYAL AUSTRALIAN INSTITUTE OF ARCHITECTS - |
JACARANDA PRESS - BRISBANE - 1959 - P13.
SHAFSTON HOUSE KANGAROO POINT FURNISHINGS STUDY ROOM 2 - PREPARED FOR
DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND CONSTRUCTION QUEENSLAND REGION BY ALLOM
LOVELL AND ASSOCIATES ARCHITECTS - MAY 1983.
SHAFSTON HOUSE KANGAROO POINT AN HISTORICAL SURVEY AND MANAGEMENT PLAN
- PREPARED FOR THE DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND CONSTRUCTION BY ALLOM
LOVELL AND ASSOCIATES ARCHITECTS - 1981.
Report Produced Sat Apr 19 13:37:49 2014