Place Details

Send Feedback

The Chapel, Bishopbourne, 233 Milton Rd, Milton, QLD, Australia

Photographs View Photo Database Record
List Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)
Class Historic
Legal Status Registered (21/03/1978)
Place ID 8387
Place File No 4/01/001/0063
Statement of Significance
The chapel is of outstanding architectural quality and an excellent example of the eccesiastical work of R S Dods. It displays his mastery of materials and form and is in harmony with the adjacent Archbishop's Residence.
Official Values Not Available
Description
A small rectangular plan church, with a steeply pitched roof. The walls are built of Brisbane tuff and have simple buttresses supporting a roof structure of six timber trusses. The roof is clad in slate. The building is lit by long narrow Gothic style windows positioned in the bays between the buttresses. A projecting porch marks the entrance to the building. Internally a timber screen divides the entrance and vestry from the main body of the chapel. The chapel is simply furnished and unadorned. The chapel was designed by by R S Dods and constructed by Hall and Meyers (builders). It was dedicated in 1912. The chapel was designed to be in harmony with the adjacent archbishop's residence (Bishopsbourne), built in the 1860s.
History Not Available
Condition and Integrity
The building is in reasonably good condition, and is largely intact both externally and internally.
Location
233 Milton Road corner Baroona Road, Milton.
Bibliography
THE CHURCH CHRONICLE, 1 JULY 1912, PP126-127
LUND, NEVILLE HENRY. THE LIFE AND WORK OF ROBIN S DODS. B ARCH,
UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND, 1954, PP50-52
NATIONAL TRUST OF QUEENSLAND CITATION, ND (BNEI/35)

Report Produced  Sun Apr 20 06:28:48 2014