|List||Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)|
|Legal Status||Registered (28/05/1996)|
|Place File No||4/01/084/0008|
|Statement of Significance|
|St Andrew's Church and McConnel Park Precinct is an early twentieth century rural town community area, important for demonstating the evolution of Toogoolawah and the social needs and concerns of a small rural society through its early features of the church buildings, recreation ground and bandstand, the later commemorative war memorial, and the more recent bicentennial celebration time capsule (Criterion A.4). The precinct with its group of vernacular timber buildings of the church, hall and rectory in their setting of mature eucalypts and jacarandas, is a picturesque townscape feature valued by the community (Criterion E). The precinct demonstrates the community concern for its citizens lost in World Wars One and Two, a concern that is continued by the contemporary sociey in their caring for the memorial and its gardens (Criterion G). The cluster of buildings are a harmonious group of early twentieth century timber architectural styles reflecting the subtle variety of styles comtemporary with their time of construction; the church hall is an example of Carpenter Gothic architecture while St Andrew's Church, as an example of Federation Arts and Crafts style, is particularly important for its period integrity both externally and internally. The Bandstand and Rectory reflect the early and later Federation styles respectively, through their timber detailing (Criteria A.3 and D.2). St Andrew's Church is important as one of the surviving examples of the work of the diocesan architect Robin Smith Dods who was one of the most important architects working in Australia at the time (Criterion H). Features of the precinct; St Andrew's Church, the church hall, the rectory, the bandstand and war memorial are examples of rural craftsmanship practised in the early nineteenth century (Criterion F). The precinct is important for its association with the McConnel family, and their contribution to the development of social and religious life in Toogoolawah (Criterion H).|
|Official Values Not Available|
|D C McConnel was the first European to settle in the Brisbane Valley, taking up the Cressbrook run in 1841. Toogoolawah came into existence to serve the farming area formed when J H McConnel subdivided the Cressbook Estate in the late 1890s and established a condensed milk factory on Cressbook Creek in 1898. The town expanded when the rail connection to Ipswich was completed in 1904, and again after purchase of the factory by the Nestle and Anglo Swiss Condensed Milk Company Ltd in 1907. The McConnel family was deeply involved in the economic and social development of Toogoolawah, encouraging cultural, religious, sporting, recreational and economic activity. They employed a contractor to build homes for their farmers, donated land for church purposes, and promoted a variety of district clubs, organisations and societies. Their establishment of a recreational facility in the centre of town remains testimony to the family's genuine concern for community welfare. St Andrew's Church and McConnel Park precinct consists of the church, the church hall, the rectory and the adjoing public park with its bandstand and war memorial. St Andrew's Church Prior to construction of the church, services at Cressbrook Creek had been conducted at the Union Church, and then in the Anglican hall built by the McConnels in 1906. Brisbane diocesan architect Robin Smith Dods prepared the designs for the church in 1908. St Andrew's was erected in 1911-12 by local contractor A D Menzies, who constructed most of the buildings in Toogoolawah until the mid 1920s. At some time after 1930 the walls were buttressed, following storm damage. The original split cedar shingles were replaced in 1966 with sawn shingles of local iron bark and crow's ash. The timber church is set amongst mature trees on a corner site forming the north-western boundary to McConnel Park. The building shows the influences of stylistic trends popular around federation. The steep pitch gable roof is clad with timber shingles and features projecting gables suggestive of a transept. The eaves slope at a lesser pitch to the main roof and carry across the gable fronts. The gables feature a dark timber grid pattern on a white background and have a cross above at the eastern and western ends. The rear vestry has a hipped shingle roof. The building is clad in dark painted weatherboards and sits on timber stumps. The roof is formed on queen post trusses wih a horizontal boarded ceiling. The interior is highly intact with internal unpainted timber members and horizontal wall boarding, original pews, some altar furniture and storage cupboards. Window units consist of three timber framed lancets with pale green leadlight glazing, some of which have stained glass inserts. St Andrew's Church Hall: a small weatherboard hall erected in 1906 inititally on land in Mangerton Street and later moved to its present location beside the church. The hall has a corrugated iron gabled roof with a skillion roof to the rear kitchenette and a gabled roof to the front porch. The exterior is dark painted weatherboarding matching the church and sits on timber stumps. The front porch has a solid weatherboard balustrade and a decorative timber front gable with a metal finial. The windows have glass louvres and the timber trim is painted white. The interior walls are lined with fibrous cement sheeting. St Andrew's Rectory: a single storey timber building, constructed in 1925 and set amongst mature trees including some large palms. The building contains verandahs to the north and west elevations and sits on concrete stumps. The wide verandahs have a decorative timber valance and balustrades with a deep and low railing forming a seat. The front door has decorative glass sidelights, fanlight and upper panel and opens into a foyer. Internally, walls are single skin vertical jointed boards, and French doors with fanlights open onto the verandahs. Ceilings are boarded and a decorative lancet shaped, timber arch valance is located betwen the foyer and lounge. Window hoods are corrugated iron with timber brackets. McConnel Park and Toogoolwah War Memorial McConnel Park devoloped on the original recreation ground. The small bandstand is believed to have been donated by the McConnel family c 1919. By 1924 the park contained a tennis court and a public shower, water for which was supplied form a public well and windmill on the site. A cricket pitch was laid out c 1930 and a guide hut and scout den were erected in the 1970s. The World War One stone memorial was commisssioned by the ctizens of Toogoolawah in 1916. It was crafted by Ipswich monumental masons, Frank Williams and Company. Gardens around the memorial were laid out by 1921 and a World War One gun installed. A plate hoouring fifteen local citizens who gave their lives in World War Two, was attached to the memorial in 1955. In 1988 two additional plaques were attached commemorating those who had served in post 1945 conflicts. A cairn containing a time capsule was placed in the park for the 1988 bicentenary. The park is 2.7ha in area consisting mostly of the sportsground and features such as the World War One memorial, the bandstand and the pioneer memorial. The memorial is in a fenced enclosure and surrounded by concrete paths with garden borders, and pencil pine plantings on the perimeter fence. The octagonal timber bandstand sits on timber stumps and has a corrugated iron pitched roof with a central metal finial. The building features decorative timber brackets and valance with a perimeter seat against the railing. The pioneer memorial is a low square structure with sloping sides which is clad with slate tiles. It sits on a square slate tiled base and also contains a time capsule.|
|History Not Available|
|Condition and Integrity|
|The condition of the precinct and all the heritage features within it is fair. The shingles on the roof of the church are in need of repairs and replacement.|
|About 3ha, bounded by Mangerton Street, Gunyah Street and Cressbrook Street, Toogoolawah and defined as: Lots 1, 2 and 3 RP7722 and Lot 1 RP167506, Parish of Biarra, comprising St Andrew's Church, hall and rectory and their grounds, and McConnel Park with war memorial.|
Entries prepared for the Queensland Heritage Register, |
File Nos. 600499, 600500, 600501 and 600502.
Department of Architecture The University of Queensland. 1996. St Andrew's Church, Toogoolaway - A Conservation Study. NEGP Report.
Report Produced Tue Sep 23 10:59:09 2014