|List||Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive)|
|Legal Status||Registered (22/06/1993)|
|Place File No||2/12/028/0007|
|Statement of Significance|
|The nine span timber bridge at Keilor is a relatively simple example of an all timber trestle road bridge built in 1906-07. Few examples of this type of bridge, which was common at the beginning of this century, remain in Victoria. It is also unusual to find a surviving example near a major metropolitan area such as Melbourne. The bridge therefore has rarity value (Criteria B.2 and D.2). The bridge also has historical significance as one of the early components of a State and locally funded road system designed to allow access to land designated for the Victorian Closer Settlement Scheme (Criterion A.4).|
|Official Values Not Available|
|It is a timber bridge consisting of nine timber beam spans on timber trestle piers. Total length 72m roadway, width 3.7m. The bridge slopes between the high north bank and the lower alluvial flats on the south. The slight gradient of the bridge saved the construction of a high embankment on the southern approach. The bridge was a component of the State funded road system designed to allow access to the Arundel Estate, an area of land repurchased by the Government as part of their scheme to encourage closer settlement. This scheme, which was later followed by the Soldier Settlement Scheme, resulted in some areas in the development of major townships or city suburbs.|
|History Not Available|
|Condition and Integrity|
The bridge remained open to traffic until the construction
of a new bridge alongside it in 1989. Some major maintenance work was carried
out in 1977-78. The bridge has undergone little change in its life apart from
the installation of longitudinal planks over the original transverse deck
planks and the addition of extra piles on each end of the piers in the river to
improve its stability against floods and as compensation for deterioration of
the original piles. Since its closure it has been left unsecured and neglected
and there has been substantial vandalism of its superstructure during 1991,
including the removal of planking and rails.|
Advised October 2007 that the bridge had been barricaded at both ends since early 2007 because of its deterioration: rotting handrail supports and loose handrails.
|Adjacent to Arundel Road over Maribyrnong River, Keilor.|
PRIESTLY, S. THE VICTORIANS: MAKING THEIR MARK, FAIRFAX, SYME & |
WELDON, 1984, PP196-7.
'ROYAL COMMISSION ON CLOSER SETTLEMENT', IN VICTORIA PARLIAMENTARY
PAPERS 1915, VOL2, P8.
PRIESTLY, OP.CIT. PP196-8.
'REPORT OF THE LAND PURCHASE AND MANAGEMENT BOARD 1905' IN VICTORIA
PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS 1904, VOL 3(i), P3.
NAIRN, B. (ED) AUSTRALIAN DICTIONARY OF BIOGRAPHY, VOL 6, MUP, 1976,
REPORTS OF THE LAND PURCHASE AND MANAGEMENT BOARD, IN VPP, 19095-1908.
PARISH OF TULLAMARINE CENTRAL PLAN OFFICE PLAN T 109(4).
REPORT, VPP, 1905, O9P.CIT, P9.
ARUNDEL ESTATE IN 'OVERNEWTON: ROADS FILE', PUBLIC RECORDS OFFICE,
NAIRN, B. & SERLE, G. (EDS) AUSTRALIAN DICTIONARY OF BIOGRAPHY, VOL 7,
MUP, 1979, PP589-590.
Report Produced Tue Dec 10 22:37:19 2013