Environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Department of the Environment and Heritage, December 2004
About the submission
The Sustainable Fisheries Section of Department of the Environment and Heritage has received a report - Draft assessment report - Skipjack Tuna Fishery - from the Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA). AFMA has prepared the draft assessment report under the strategic assessment framework of section 146 of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act). The report, along with the public comments and AFMA's response to these comments, will be used to assess the management regime of the fishery under Parts 10, 13 and 13A of the EPBC Act.
Under Part 13A of the EPBC Act, consideration will be given to either:
- declaring the Skipjack Tuna Fishery, as managed consistent with the management regime in place and as described in the draft assessment report, as an approved Wildlife Trade Operation under Section 303FN, or
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, fish species harvested in the Skipjack Tuna Fishery in accordance with the management regime in place and as described in the draft assessment report.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal. Closing date for comments was 28 January 2005.
Please provide your comments to:
Ms Melissa Schubert
Senior Management Officer - Tuna and Billfish Fisheries
Australian Fisheries Management Authority
PO Box 7051
Canberra ACT 2610
Submissions may also be sent by fax to : (02) 6272 4614 or email
Copies of the updated draft Strategic Assessment report and draft Management Plan are available by contacting AFMA on (02) 6272 4614, by writing to AFMA at the address above or at the AFMA website at - http://www.afma.gov.au/environment/assessment/draft.htm.
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for the Environment and Heritage for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section on (02) 6274 1917.
- Australian Government Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
- The Australian Government
- Australian Seafood Industry Council
- Australian Antarctic Division
Links to another web site
Opens a pop-up window