Submission for environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Department of the Environment and Heritage, 19 January 2004
About the submission
The Department of the Environment and Heritage (DEH) has received a submission - Draft assessment report- Torres Strait Prawn Fishery from the Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA). The submission has been prepared against the Australian Government Guidelines for the ecologically sustainable management of fisheries. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 10, 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to either:
- declaring the Torres Strait Prawn Fishery, as managed consistent with the Torres Strait Fisheries Act 1984, as a Wildlife Trade Operation under Section 303FN, or
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, fish species harvested in the Torres Strait Prawn Fishery in accordance with Torres Strait Fisheries Act 1984.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you were invited to comment on this proposal. Closing date for comments was Monday 19 January 2004.
Electronic copies of the submission are available from the AFMA website at www.afma.gov.au or a hard copy can be mailed to you upon request.
- More about the Torres Strait Prawn Fishery
- Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries (the Guidelines)
- Australian Government Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
- The Australian Government
- Australian Seafood Industry Council
- Australian Antarctic Division
Links to another web site
Opens a pop-up window