Submission for environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Northern Territory Government Department of Primary Industries, Fisheries and Mines, March 2008
- Northern Territory Aquarium Fishery - Export Exemption Submission - Re-assessment report March 2008 (PDF - 44 KB)
- Combined Aquarium Fish logbook - Attachment 1 (PDF - 58 KB)
- Ecological Risk Assessment of the Northern Territory Aquarium Fishery - Attachment 2 (PDF - 148 KB)
About the submission
The current export approval for the Northern Territory Aquarium Fishery is valid until 29 June 2008 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (DEWHA) received a submission - Northern Territory Aquarium Fishery Export Exemption Submission, Re-assessment Report March 2008, from the Northern Territory Department of Primary Industry, Fisheries and Mines. The report has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries - 2nd Edition (the Guidelines) and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the original DEWHA assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the Northern Territory Aquarium Fishery as managed under the Northern Territory Fisheries Regulations 1993 and the Northern Territory Fisheries Act 1988, as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the Northern Territory Aquarium Fishery as managed under the Northern Territory Fisheries Regulations 1993 and the Northern Territory Fisheries Act 1988.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
Closing date for comments was Monday 28 April 2008.
The submission is available for downloading above.