Environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Queensland Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries, April 2009
- Policy for the Management of the Coral Fishery (PDF - 2,566 KB)
- Annual Status Report 2008 (PDF - 240 KB)
- Annual Status Report 2007 (PDF - 330 KB)
- Ecological Risk Assessment of the Queensland Coral Fishery (PDF - 449 KB)
- Vulnerability Assessment of Coral Taxa collected in the Queensland Coral Fishery (PDF - 209 KB)
- Performance Measurement System Queensland Coral Fishery (PDF - 141 KB)
About the submission
The current export approval for the Queensland Coral Fishery is valid until 1 June 2009 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (DEWHA) received a submission –Annual Status Report 2007, Annual Status Report 2007-2008 and Policy for the Management of the Coral Reef Fishery- January 2009 from the Queensland Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation in April 2009.The report has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries, 2nd edition (the Guidelines) and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the original DEWHA assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to
- declaring the Queensland Coral Fishery as managed consistent with the Queensland Fisheries Act 1994 and Fisheries Regulation 2008 as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the Queensland Coral Fishery under the provisions of the Queensland Fisheries Act 1994 and Fisheries Regulation 2008
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
The public comment period opens 29 April 2009 and the closing date for comments is 29 May 2009
The submission, along with additional reference material is available for downloading above.
Please submit your comments to the address below.
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6275 9374 , or email email@example.com
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section on (02) 6274 1917.