Environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Tasmanian Department of Primary Industries, Water and Environment, January 2005
- Application for Declaration as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 - Export of Scalaris Abalone (Haliotis scalaris) from Tasmanian waters (PDF - 129 KB)
- Attachment 1 - Living Marine Resources Management Act 1995 - permit issued under section 14 - Taking, possession and sale of Scalaris Abalone (PDF - 42 KB)
- Attachment 2 - Maps of Flinders Island, King Island and Tasmanian North Coast (PDF - 42 KB)
- Attachment 3 - Part a: Scalaris Abalone fishing log under the authority of fisheries permit No. 5076 (PDF - 42 KB)
- Attachment 4 - Distribution of Calaris Abalone (PDF - 28 KB)
About the submission
The Department of the Environment and Heritage (DEH) has received a submission - Application for Declaration as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 - Export of Scalaris Abalone (Haliotis scalaris) from Tasmanian waters from the Department of Primary Industries, Water and Environment (DPIWE). The report has been prepared against the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to either
- declaring the Tasmanian Scalaris Abalone Fishery, as managed consistent with the Tasmania Living Marine Resources Management Act 1995, as a Wildlife Trade Operation under Section 303FN of the EPBC Act, or
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the Tasmanian Scalaris Abalone Fishery in accordance with the Tasmanian Living Marine Resources Management Act 1995.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal. Closing date for comments was Tuesday 8 February 2005.
Electronic copies of the Australian Government Guidelines are available from the DEH website at www.deh.gov.au/coasts/fisheries/assessment/current.html or a hard copy can be mailed to you upon request. The submission is available for downloading below.
Please submit your comments to the address below.
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of the Environment and Heritage
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to 02 6274 1006, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for the Environment and Heritage for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section on (02) 6274 1917.