Agency application for environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Department of Fisheries Western Australia, 2012
Agency application on ecological sustainability
About the application
The current export approval for the Western Australian Exmouth Gulf Prawn Managed Fishery is valid until 11 February 2013 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities received an application, Application for reassessment of the ecological sustainability of management arrangements for the Exmouth Gulf Prawn Managed Fishery, from the Department of Fisheries Western Australia in November 2012. The application has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries - 2nd Edition and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the previous Australian Government assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the Western Australian Exmouth Gulf Prawn Managed Fishery, as managed consistent with the Western Australian Fish Resources Management Act 1994 and the Western Australian Fish Resources Management Regulations 1995, as an approved wildlife trade operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including in the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the Western Australian Exmouth Gulf Prawn Managed Fishery under the provisions of the Western Australian Fish Resources Management Act 1994 and the Western Australian Fish Resources Management Regulations 1995.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
Download the application
- Application for reassessment of the ecological sustainability of management arrangements for the Shark Bay Prawn Managed Fishery (PDF - 389KB)
- Appendix 1: State of the Fisheries Report 2006/07 (PDF - 780KB)
- Appendix 2: State of the Fisheries Report 2007/08 (PDF - 2,179KB)
- Appendix 3: State of the Fisheries Report 2008/09 (PDF - 2,028KB)
- Appendix 4: State of the Fisheries Report 2009/10 (PDF - 2,135KB)
- Appendix 5: State of the Fisheries Report 2010/11 (PDF - 2,431KB)
- Appendix 6: 2008 Risk Assessment Report of the Fishery (PDF - 913KB)
- Appendix 7: Bycatch Action Plan matrix (PDF - 45KB)
The call for public comments is open from 19 November 2012 until 17 December 2012.
Please submit your comments to the address below.
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6275 9374, or email email@example.com
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section (02) 6274 1917.