Non-Fisheries Uses in Australia's Marine Jurisdiction
National Oceans Office 2004
ISBN 1 877043 34 6
- Introduction, description of Australian Marine Regions, description of map themes, base map details (PDF - 922 KB)
- Maps - Base map, cultural heritage, defence, indigenous (PDF - 8,613 KB)
- Maps - Natural Heritage (PDF - 10,527 KB)
- Maps - Ocean disposal (PDF - 8,186 KB)
- Maps - Petroleum/mining, research (PDF - 10,069 KB)
- Maps - Shipping (PDF - 9,280 KB)
- Maps - Tourism, recreation, sport, miscellaneous (PDF - 11,105 KB)
- Multiple use maps - Part 1 (PDF - 12,155 KB)
- Multiple use maps - Part 2 (PDF - 13,996 KB)
- Multiple use maps - Part 3 (PDF - 12,982 KB)
- Multiple use maps - Part 4 (PDF - 12,377 KB)
- Map data caveat, data source references, glossary, key word index (PDF - 121 KB)
About the atlas
Australia has the largest area of ocean jurisdiction of any country on earth. This vast marine territory offers great opportunities as well as important responsibilities. If we are to manage our rich resources effectively and sustainably into the future, we need an understanding of how we use them today.
The National Marine Atlas is a step forward in this understanding. It brings together for the first time information from a wide range of sources about the use of our ocean territory. The Atlas contains a series of maps depicting the non-fisheries uses of Australia's marine jurisdiction and aims to demonstrate where these activities occur and interact. Containing information as diverse as shipping routes, offshore petroleum and gas leases and platforms, shipwrecks and bioprospecting sites, this publication has been compiled for a wide readership.
The datasets drawn on to produce this Atlas have been sourced from a large number of organisations, including State and Australian Government agencies, private organisations and scientific research agencies. Additional information on the datasets used can be sourced from the National Oceans Office metadata database called NEPTUNE, viewable at http://neptune.oceans.gov.au
Due to the size of the Atlas, it has been broken into sections to allow easier downloading. These are listed below.