Field Trip to Ashmore Reef - 23 May to 15 June 2000
Final Report to Environment Australia, 2002
About this document
The purpose of this consultancy was to provide advice to Environment Australia on management and scientific research issues at Ashmore Reef National Nature Reserve, eastern Indian Ocean.
Major tasks involved :
- Providing familiarity training to Customs Officers
- Developing a framework for environmental monitoring
- Developing management procedures for Customs Officers
- Assisting with compliance and enforcement measures in the Reserve
- Undertaking management and research tasks
- Developing management and research protocols to be applied to Ashmore Reef
- Setting up data sheets for use by Customs staff to record observations while at Ashmore Reef
- Setting a database for use by Customs staff to record observations while at Ashmore Reef
To meet this end, this report and been divided into two sections: 1) Management Issues including those that need to be addressed by EA and also those activities that need to be performed by Customs staff at Ashmore Reef and 2) Research Issues including a report on the suitability of the ACV Wauri to facilitate scientific personnel.
A summary of the daily activities during the field period is presented in a diary format in Appendix 1.