Application for the collection of landed dead sea snakes from trawlers in the Northern Prawn Trawl Fishery
- Permit application – part 1 (PDF - 327.83 KB)
- Permit application – part 2 (PDF - 892.04 KB)
- Permit application – part 3 (PDF - 506.23 KB)
- Attachment – Letters of support (PDF - 662.87 KB)
- Attachment – Northern Territory Parks and Wildlife Commission permit to take wildlife for commercial purposes (PDF - 334.96 KB)
- Attachment – 2007 Sea Snake report (PDF - 498.66 KB)
About the application
The department received an application for a permit to kill, injure, take, trade, keep or move a listed threatened species and ecological community in a Commonwealth Area under Part 13, section 257 of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act). The application is to collect sea snakes that are landed dead on trawlers in the Northern Prawn Trawl Fishery. Specimens are to be made available for scientific research, including determining species composition, diet, reproductive output and for genetic studies. Sea snakes are listed marine species under the EPBC Act.
Please see the documents above for further details on the proposal.
If the application for a permit to conduct the activity is approved the permit will be valid for a period of up to five years.
In accordance with the provisions of section 257(3) of the Act, comments were invited on this proposal. The comment period closed 26 June 2009.