Less waste, more resources
National product stewardship legislation
The Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities released the Product Stewardship Legislation Consultation Paper for public comment on 11 November 2010.
Submissions closed on 10 December 2010 and the Department received 46 submissions.
Copies of submissions and a summary of the matters that were raised can be found below. The matters raised are being considered in developing and finalising the Product Stewardship Bill.
The Department would like to thank all those who provided submissions.
The consultation paper is one part of the consultation process for the proposed product stewardship legislation. Input will be used to inform the legislative drafting process, as well as the preparation of a Regulation Impact Statement for the draft legislation.
Download the consultation paper
- Download consultation paper as PDF - Product Stewardship Legislation Consultation Paper (PDF - 366 KB)
- Download consultation paper as RTF - Product Stewardship Legislation Consultation Paper (RTF - 1317 KB)
- Common data requirements for product stewardship
- A Study of Australias Current and Future E-Waste Recycling Infrastructure Capacity and Needs
The report forms part of a suite of research reports used to inform the National Waste Policy - Less waste, more resources.
Public consultation sessions were held in Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney in the week of 22-26 November 2010. Attendees were given an opportunity to ask questions or raise issues and valuable feedback was provided on the proposed design of the legislation.
You can download a copy of the presentation that was given at the public consultation sessions below:
- Product Stewardship Legislation Consultation - November 2010 (PDF - 189 KB) - copy of presentation
Responsibility for copyright in submissions resides with the author(s), not with the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities.
Some submissions have been supplied in confidence and have not been posted. If you have concerns about published material, please email email@example.com
Formats and accessibility
The department has made every effort to ensure submissions provided are as accessible as possible. If you have difficulty accessing the information provided and need further assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Summary of public submissions (PDF - 153KB) (PDF - 170.16 KB)
- (Word - 171KB) (DOC - 153 KB)
- AgStewardship Australia (PDF - 229KB) (PDF - 228.71 KB)
- Australasian Paper Industry Association (PDF - 61KB) (PDF - 65.11 KB)
- Australian Food and Grocery Council (PDF - 99KB) (PDF - 103.13 KB)
- Australian Information Industry Association (Diana Gibson) (PDF - 562KB) (PDF - 566.09 KB)
- Australian Local Government Association (John Pritchard) (Word - 77KB) (DOC - 43 KB)
- Australian National Retailers Association (PDF - 47KB) (PDF - 50.74 KB)
- Australian Network of Environmental Defender's Offices (Word - 73KB) (DOC - 62.5 KB)
- Butt Free Australia (PDF - 479KB) (PDF - 482.46 KB)
- Close the Loop Ltd (PDF - 35KB) (PDF - 38.26 KB)
- Community Recycling Network Australia (Word - 100KB) (DOC - 98.5 KB)
- Condamine Alliance (PDF - 1231KB) (PDF - 1.21 MB)
- CropLife Australia Limited (PDF - 157KB) (PDF - 160.56 KB)
- Derek Fiddler (PDF - 11KB) (PDF - 15.09 KB)
- EPA Victoria (PDF - 161KB) (PDF - 164.43 KB)
- Global Product Stewardship Council (PDF - 121KB) (PDF - 124.42 KB)
- Infoactiv Group (PDF - 1064KB) (PDF - 1.04 MB)
- Lighting Council Australia (PDF - 42KB) (PDF - 45.42 KB)
- Local Government Association of Tasmania (Word - 44KB) (DOC - 33.5 KB)
- Marian Wheatley (Word - 28KB) (DOC - 28.5 KB)
- Metropolitan Waste Management Group (Word - 194KB) (DOC - 188 KB)
- Mornington Peninsula Shire (Word - 50KB) (DOC - 46.5 KB)
- National Farmers Federation (PDF - 100KB) (PDF - 104.09 KB)
- Net Balance Management Group (PDF - 253KB) (PDF - 257.17 KB)
- Plastics and Chemicals Industries Association (PDF - 199KB) (PDF - 194.86 KB)
- Product Stewardship Australia and the Consumer Electronics Suppliers Association (PDF - 223KB) (PDF - 226.88 KB)
- Publishers National Environment Bureau (PDF - 304KB) (DOC - 303 KB)
- RENEW NSW (Word - 35KB) (DOC - 34.5 KB)
- Sustainable Engineering Group, Curtin University (Word - 59KB) (DOC - 58 KB)
- Tasmanian Department of Primary industries, Parks, Water and the Environment (Word - 27KB) (DOC - 26.5 KB)
- The Packaging Council of Australia (PDF - 124KB) (PDF - 127.79 KB)
- Tony Backhouse (PDF - 163KB) (PDF - 167.14 KB)
- Total Environment Centre (PDF - 47KB) (PDF - 50.72 KB)
- Veolia Environmental Services (Word - 30KB) (DOC - 25.5 KB)
- Vinyl Council of Australia (PDF - 84KB) (PDF - 87.98 KB)
- Western Australian Local Government Association (PDF - 391KB) (PDF - 395.13 KB)
- Western Australian Waste Authority (Word - 107KB) (DOC - 105.5 KB)
- Western Television (Word - 76KB) (DOC - 74.5 KB)
- Winemakers' Federation of Australia (PDF - 42KB) (PDF - 46.22 KB)
- Product Stewardship Legislation Consultation Paper (PDF - 366 KB) (PDF - 874.01 KB)
- Product Stewardship Legislation Consultation Paper (RTF - 1317 KB) (RTF - 710 KB)
- Product Stewardship Legislation Consultation - November 2010 (PDF - 189 KB) (PDF - 188.62 KB)