Do you need to obtain approval under the EPBC Act?

You may need to obtain approval under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) for certain actions or activities that affect our environment.

Refer your proposed action

If you are proposing to take action that could have a significant impact on our environment, you will need to refer your proposed action to the Australian Government Minister for the Environment.

If you are sure that you need to refer your proposed action, complete the referral of proposed action form.

If you are not sure read through the assessment and approval process.

Permit and application forms

You will need to obtain a permit application for certain activities for example:

  • import or export of plants and animals (wildlife and wildlife products)
  • activities which will affect any species or ecological community within a Commonwealth area
  • research, commercial activities, filming and photography in a Commonwealth park or reserve