Application for a permit to collect naturally deceased birds for monitoring purposes, Ashmore Reef National Nature Reserve and Cartier Island Marine Reserve, WA (E2011-0059)
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities - October 2011
- E2011-0059 General Permit Application (PDF - 92 KB) | (Word - 115 KB)
- E2011-0059 Supplementary Form C (PDF - 147 KB) | (Word - 268 KB)
- E2011-0059 Attachment – Additional qualifications details (PDF - 106 KB) | (Word - 44 KB)
- E2011-0059 Attachment – Ashmore Reef Bird List (PDF - 106 KB) | (Word - 44 KB)
- E2011-0059 Attachment – Description of proposed action (PDF - 106 KB) | (Word - 44 KB)
- E2011-0059 Attachment – Approval for Activity in Commonwealth Reserve (PDF - 106 KB)
About the application
The Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities has received an application for a permit to kill, injure, take, trade, keep or move listed threatened species and ecological community, listed migratory species and listed marine species in a Commonwealth Area under Part 13, sections 200, 215 and 257 of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act). The application is to collect naturally deceased birds for monitoring of impacts in the Ashmore Reef National Nature Reserve and Cartier Island Marine Reserve, from a well release (oil spill) in the Montara Oil Field situated in the Timor Sea which occurred on 21 August 2009. As listed in ‘E2011-0059 Attachment - Supplementary Form C’, several bird species listed as threatened, migratory and/or marine under the EPBC Act are known to or may occur in the proposal area.
Please see the documents above for further details on the proposal.
If the application for a permit to conduct the activity is approved the permit will be valid for a period of up to five years.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 200(3), 215(3) and 257(3) of the Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
Please submit your comments by 25 October 2011.
Please include your full name and address in your submission.
Comments should be addressed to:
Commonwealth and Territories Section
Environment Assessment Branch
Environment Assessment and Compliance Division
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601
or can be e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To assist in considering comments, you are encouraged to provide comments under the following headings:
- Management and methodology
- Monitoring procedures
- Ecological sustainability of the operation
- Animal welfare