Torres Strait Tropical Rock Lobster Fishery - Agency application 2014
Environmental Assessment under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
Australian Fisheries Management Authority March 2014
Agency application on ecological sustainability
About the application
The current export approval for the Torres Strait Tropical Rock Lobster Fishery is valid until 9 May 2014 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of the Environment received an application - the ‘Torres Strait Tropical Rock Lobster Fishery – 2013 Annual Report’ - from the Australian Fisheries Management Authority in March 2014. The application has been prepared to address the Australian Government ‘Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries – 2nd Edition’ and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the previous Australian Government assessment. The application will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the Torres Strait Tropical Rock Lobster Fishery, as managed consistent with the Torres Strait Fisheries Act 1984 and the Torres Strait Fisheries Regulations 1985, as an approved wildlife trade operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act
- including in the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the Torres Strait Tropical Rock Lobster Fishery under the provisions of the Torres Strait Fisheries Act 1984 and the Torres Strait Fisheries Regulations 1985.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
Download the application
- TS TRL 2013 Annual Report (PDF - 1 MB) | (DOC - 787 KB)
- Attachment A - Progress (PDF - 181.96 KB) | (DOC - 92.5 KB)
- Attachment B - TRL04 Logbook (PDF - 102.3 KB)
- Attachment C - TDB01 Docketbook (PDF - 76.08 KB)
The call for public comments is open from 20 March 2014 until 23 April 2014.
Please submit your comments to:
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of the Environment
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6274 2875, or email to email@example.com
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for the Environment for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section (02) 6274 1917.