Overseas sites that have a special place in Australia's history are symbolically recognised on the List of Overseas Places of Historic Significance to Australia (LOPHSA).
LOPSHA was established on 1 January 2007 under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
The list enables Australia to officially recognise and celebrate overseas places of greatest importance to the development of the nation in a way that is respectful of the rights and sovereignty of other nations. The list will help tell the story of the most significant parts of Australia's history that occurred outside our borders, such as significant events during wartime and locations representing extraordinary achievements by Australians overseas. Other amendments to the EPBC Act passed by the Australian Parliament in December 2006 have limited the National Heritage List to places within the Australian jurisdiction.
The process for listing a place on the LOPHSA includes the following steps:
- The Australian Government Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts (the Minister) considers whether a particular place outside of the Australian jurisdiction should be included on the LOPHSA.
- The Minister may ask the Australian Heritage Council for advice on the proposed listing. The Minister may also consider information from other sources.
- The Minister may include a place in the LOPHSA if satisfied it is outside of Australian jurisdiction and is of outstanding historic significance to Australia.
- To list, the Minister must publish a notice and statement of the historic significance of the place to Australia in the Government Gazette.
- Australian Heritage Week
- Public notices
- Asia-Pacific Focal Point
- Australia's dinosaurs
- Managing Commonwealth heritage places
- Australian Heritage Council
- Australian Heritage Places Inventory (AHPI)
- Australian Heritage Database
- Australian Heritage Information
- Export permits
- Indigenous heritage
- Place managers network
- Historic Shipwrecks Program factsheet
- Patrimonito Storyboard competition
Links to another web site
Opens a pop-up window